AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28203 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Awesome side dish for any summer meal. 

The ratio is 4 cucumbers : 1 medium sweet onion.  Secret is to slice very fine and then drain in a colander to get all the moisture out.  The cukes you want to be ~6-8" in length and no bigger than 1-1/2" in diameter as to not have too many or too large of seeds in them.  Make this 1 day ahead of time to let the flavors blend.  I usually make this in a large tupperware and eat off it for several days. 

- Wash and peel cucumbers. 

-Layer in 2 cucumbers and then 1/2 of an onion.

-Sprinkle canning (can use regular salt too) over the layer.  Probably 1/4-1/2tsp. 

-Continue layering cukes/onions/salt....until done put a lid on the bowl.

-Let it sit 1/2 hour and stir. 

-Keep it on  the counter all day and stir it every time you walk by it.  Let it sit at least 4 hours minimum, I've done it over night.

-Use a colander and drain all the water out and put the cukes back into the bowl.

-Add about 1/2-3/4 cup of sour cream per 4 cukes (again, a ratio).  Start with less, add more if you want.

-Add a fair helping of chopped dill.  I like a lot, so at least 1 to 1-1/2 TSB chopped per 4 cukes, probably more.

-Several turns of the black pepper mill.

-Let this sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours before serving, over night is better.  Stir around every once in a while.

The better you drain the water off after salting, the tighter the mixture will be.  I usually let it sit in the colander for 15 min or so just to get it as dry as possible.  I like it thicker so it doesn't run all over your plate when used as a side.

MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users