#21 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

Not sure I follow - if they are both pretty big what's the diff?

A converted keg wouldn't work for me because I brew on the stove, so I use a 15 gallon kettle prefab from MB. The keg is too tall to fit underneath the hood on my stove. So that's one logistical issue I can see being a problem.Surprised nobody mentioned morebeer.com as a place to pick up kettles. Their welding is great. And I like the kettles I've gotten from them.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Also, seeing you are going electric it makes it pretty easy to control the boil over by shutting the element off and then putting it back on.

I'm going to put a float on my kettle that automatically kills the element if it starts to boil over.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'm going to put a float on my kettle that automatically kills the element if it starts to boil over.

That is a good idea .. since I started with fermcap I have not had anything close to a boil over, but it may be something I look in to just in case

#24 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Will a float switch be pushed up by the foam?

#25 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

That is a good idea .. since I started with fermcap I have not had anything close to a boil over, but it may be something I look in to just in case

Fermcap and a controller make boilovers almost impossible. I've done FWH only brews where I left the boil unattended for over an hour once it reached a full boil. And I would be an unhappy camper if I had one since my brew area is in a tough spot to clean in the basement. Never had one since I started brewing again.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Will a float switch be pushed up by the foam?

If the density of the float is low enough, yeah. If you search for float switches on McMaster you can see that one of the specifications is the "Minimum Liquid Specific Gravity". I don't know what the SG of the foam is, but they have floats that will handle specific gravities as low as 0.45. I'm sure there are others out there that can handle even lower SGs.

#27 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29327 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

A converted keg wouldn't work for me because I brew on the stove, so I use a 15 gallon kettle prefab from MB. The keg is too tall to fit underneath the hood on my stove. So that's one logistical issue I can see being a problem.Surprised nobody mentioned morebeer.com as a place to pick up kettles. Their welding is great. And I like the kettles I've gotten from them.

I question if an appartment stove is going to get 13ish gallons to a boil to do a 10g batch.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

Fermcap and a controller make boilovers almost impossible. I've done FWH only brews where I left the boil unattended for over an hour once it reached a full boil. And I would be an unhappy camper if I had one since my brew area is in a tough spot to clean in the basement. Never had one since I started brewing again.

What are you controlling?

#29 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

I question if an appartment stove is going to get 13ish gallons to a boil to do a 10g batch.

I answer yes. I do run two burners, but I do that for 6.5 gallons as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users