Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

[font="calibri;"]Hi All,[/font]

[font="calibri;"]If you were going to use slurry from a mid range gravity (1.052) beer to make a second mid range gravity beer, and you have approximately 24 ounces of said slurry, approximately how much (in ounces) would you pitch?  I’ve done this in the past guesstimating 10 ounces and did quite well.  I was just wondering if anyone had more of a science to their slurry pitch rate.[/font]

[font="calibri;"]Thanks, Mike[/font]

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

maybe you could use yeastcalc to estimate how much yeast you grew.  you could also let it settle out in a jar in a fridge for a few days and get a pretty good indicator of how much yeast you've got.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I wish I could find the article that suggested there is no more or less viability in the whole slurry than there would be in any one layer in the mason jar.  That's why I shake up and pitch (some).

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

I wish I could find the article that suggested there is no more or less viability in the whole slurry than there would be in any one layer in the mason jar.  That's why I shake up and pitch (some).

i was only suggesting to let it settle so you could estimate how much yeast you had.  when it's all mixed up i'm not sure how you could really estimate the yeast density short of figuring how much yeast you had in total.  this is only one path though.  you could possibly estimate how much yeast you created in total (using yeast calc) and pitch the appropriate percentage of your total slurry.

Edited by TheGuv, 08 July 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Maybe weigh it?

https://braukaiser.c...hing-by-weight/

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Know anyone with a microscope and some plates?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

it seems like he'd need to know the cell density though.  maybe I'm missing something - I only skimmed.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

With all respect due to you's guys, I'm sorta lurking for a dumb'd down approach more than what I'm currently bringing or not bringing when pitching.  Things like; how long the slurry's been sittin in the fridge and/or "I typically use the whole cake for XX gravity etc.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

The only problem with doing that is that decanting the spent wort off leaves some beer weight in there. There probably aren't any numbers, but one way I thought about doing it was to take a 1000 mL graduated cylinder letting the yeast chill in it. Then when the cake is compacted measure how much you have. After that you need some way to correlate it. One way to do that is to make a 1L starter where you know pretty much how much yeast you are making and compare in another cylinder.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 08 July 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

With all respect due to you's guys, I'm sorta lurking for a dumb'd down approach more than what I'm currently bringing or not bringing when pitching.  Things like; how long the slurry's been sittin in the fridge and/or "I typically use the whole cake for XX gravity etc.

Mr. Malty has a calculator for how much slurry to pitch

https://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

#11 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Less than 3 days old, pitch half.  More than three days add fresh wort to slurry for one day and pitch half.  More than a week old, make a starter.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think the most dumbed down approach I would go for is to use yeastcalc.  it should literally take you minutes to figure out.  if you want, give me all of the information about your brew and I'll do it for you.

I need to know how much yeast you pitched in, the OG, and how many gallons of beer.  from here I could estimate how many cells you got out of the beer.  from there I could say something like, use half of the total slurry or use a third or whatever.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Mr. Malty has a calculator for how much slurry to pitch

https://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I've found yeastcalc is much better.  Just my opinion though.  I used to use mrmalty.

Less than 3 days old, pitch half.  More than three days add fresh wort to slurry for one day and pitch half.  More than a week old, make a starter.

I'm not sure he'd need to make a starter after a week.  storage is an issue as well.  how do you start the counting anyway?  since active fermentation stopped?  since he racked?  since he put it in the fridge?

#14 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

I've found yeastcalc is much better.  Just my opinion though.  I used to use mrmalty.

I'm not sure he'd need to make a starter after a week.  storage is an issue as well.  how do you start the counting anyway?  since active fermentation stopped?  since he racked?  since he put it in the fridge?

Just a ballpark, works OK here.

Hopefully cake would go in the fridge same day it was racked and assumed racking after primary done and D-rest 1 day.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Just a ballpark, works OK here.

Hopefully cake would go in the fridge same day it was racked and assumed racking after primary done and D-rest 1 day.

a lot of homebrewers leave a beer in primary for 2-3 weeks before racking.  this is one of the reasons I don't generally use the slurry for subsequent batches.

#16 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

a lot of homebrewers leave a beer in primary for 2-3 weeks before racking.  this is one of the reasons I don't generally use the slurry for subsequent batches.

So, you never re-pitch?

I usually re-use 2-3 times, but try to do it quickly to keep the yeast fresh.

After 2-3 brews (a month to 6 wks) I'll usually start a fresh tube from slant and build a starter, but that takes a week or so.

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

For the OP i would think this is a good quick rule of thumb.

Really, if you have had good experience with your 10oz, then I would go with that.  The reality is that there are a LOT of factors that go into the yeast health and viability that it really is a crap shoot and any rule of thumb here or anywhere makes many assumptions on those factors.

If you really want the way to figure out the right pitch, you need to get a microscope, a hemacytometer, and some methylene blue stain.  With them, you can count and calculate the viable cells in the slurry and then calculate the proper pitch rate from there.

Beyond doing that, it is all just hand-waving estimations and approximations.  Like I said, I would just stick with your 10 oz if it consistently gives good results and no fermentation related (especially yeast stress) off flavors.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I hadn't noticed Yeastcalc having a slurry tool  :blush:

I used Yeastcalc two batches ago for my Helles last week, reached terminal gravity at 48F Ambient in 6 days, I am more than happy with that.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

I hadn't noticed Yeastcalc having a slurry tool  :blush:

I used Yeastcalc two batches ago for my Helles last week, reached terminal gravity at 48F Ambient in 6 days, I am more than happy with that.

I like the options that yeastcalc has overall.  i also like that it uses kai growth estimate which I think might be more in line with reality.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I like the options that yeastcalc has overall.  i also like that it uses kai growth estimate which I think might be more in line with reality.

I liked his growth estimate much better, and his explanations of why

I will be using it in the future to get my 1450 going that's a bit on the elderly side

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users