#41 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26224 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

Clubs mead day BBQ this weekend, so I will be doing a cyser that will later see blackberries and probably WA state sweet cherries in the secondary

All went well, I did the no heat method and taught a few of the uninitiated about the benefits of the no heat method of mead making. 5 gallons apple juice, 6# honey gave me 19.5 Brix / 1.081 OG.

#42 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

Brewed a APA yesterday..10 gal OG 1.050Cali ale yeast Cascade and amarillo hopsIt was my first batch in months--- I had ten cornies filled in the winter/spring but down to 1 1/2....had to get brewing for the fall!

#43 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64232 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

Brewed me up that hefe today. 50% wheat/50% pils, 1.044 OG, 1.8 oz of Czech Saaz at 60 min (11.5 gal finished volume). Pitched a vigorously fermenting starter of 3068. I had made a 3.2 liter starter two weeks ago, I decanted it this morning and added a quart of fresh starter wort. Within 3 hours the krausen was spewing out of my 4 L flask. I usually pitch the yeast after I get my cooled wort in the fermenter. This time I had to put the yeast in first because it was spewing everywhere. I think my blowoff tube is gonna come in handy for this batch.

#44 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Doing my first Hop Burst IPA. FWH 1 oz. Columbus.60 Min 1 oz Warrior20 Min 1 oz Cascade20 Min 1 oz Amarillo05 Min 1 oz Cascade05 Min 1 oz Amarillo01 Min 2 oz AmarilloI'm debating adding a whirlpool addition of 1 oz each Amarillo and Cascade or waiting to dry hop with that.

Holy Hops! 1.056 o.g. and I forgot to add enough brewing liquor to make up for the hop mass, so I just got my 5 gallons. At only 1.056 this should be a hop monster.

#45 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

Holy Hops! 1.056 o.g. and I forgot to add enough brewing liquor to make up for the hop mass, so I just got my 5 gallons. At only 1.056 this should be a hop monster.

Eh, it could use more finishing hops.

#46 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Eh, it could use more finishing hops.

Agreed.

#47 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25418 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

Here are a few pics from yesterday's partigyle session with my friend Mike. We blended the runoffs to bring the gravities closer and using two kettles, did 9 gallons of 1.056 saison and 11 gallons of 1.052 pilsner.New sack of malt!Posted ImageMash braid:Posted ImageMike stirring the mash-42# of pilsner maltPosted ImageBittering hops for one of the kettles:Posted ImageFirst runnings into the first kettle:Posted ImageSerious hot break:Posted ImageGrains of Paradise for the saison:Posted ImageChiller, again showing incredible clarity even before going thru the hopstopper:Posted Imagepilsner!:Posted ImageTrub left behind:Posted Image

#48 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64232 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Nice pics, orudis.I brewed a hefe this weekend with 50% pilsner malt. It's the first time I've used pilsner in a while and I noticed that same type of hot break. I wonder if it has to do with the pils malt?

#49 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25418 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

I dunnop, but the kettles were like egg foo young. Don't think I've ever actuaqly brewed int he middle of a 100F summer day, was brutal toward the end there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users