#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

And on the seventh day he said "Let there be draft beer in thine house."I have taken the first steps to starting my beer fridge/kegerator. I moved my GF down from gainesville and we brought back her old fridge. Its a lovely shade of olive green circa 1965. It had been sitting outside for about a year so I cleaned it up on Sunday and let it air dry. I moved a bunch of stuff around in the garage and plugged it in, the compressor started and as of this morning is cooling down nicely. The only thing I might do is replace the seal around the doors because it doesn't always seat correctly. I have two corny kegs to use for homebrew, so now all I need is gas, reg, taps, and lines. I will add pictures later and update this thread as I get more stuff, I can't afford it all at once right now.Cheers,Rich

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

And on the seventh day he said "Let there be draft beer in thine house."I have taken the first steps to starting my beer fridge/kegerator. I moved my GF down from gainesville and we brought back her old fridge. Its a lovely shade of olive green circa 1965. It had been sitting outside for about a year so I cleaned it up on Sunday and let it air dry. I moved a bunch of stuff around in the garage and plugged it in, the compressor started and as of this morning is cooling down nicely. The only thing I might do is replace the seal around the doors because it doesn't always seat correctly. I have two corny kegs to use for homebrew, so now all I need is gas, reg, taps, and lines. I will add pictures later and update this thread as I get more stuff, I can't afford it all at once right now.Cheers,Rich

Congrats on the step forward. I used my cobra taps for about a year before installing the tower on my fridge. Would suggest picking up a third corny (trust me... you'll want it) when you buy your other items. Also, get a regulator that has two low pressure guages. Here is a link to where I picked up my set. I thought it was pretty reasonable after all of the extensive research I did (and adding a third keg to the bill didn't add much). I have not had one problem with this setup. Here is the link to Midwest Supplies for the setup I got. Since you already have two kegs, you can look at one of their other packages and the price will go down. I would suggest calling to actually place the order. Oh, and don't forget to have them toss in some keg lube too. Comes in handy.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Congrats. Only thing I can recommend is getting a kill a watt device to measure the power draw of the fridge. If it is that old, I can only assume it is not very efficient, and that means you may spend more on electricity than you would on a new fridge over a few years.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Bad news. The fridge stopped working last nightish. It was plugged into an outlet with a breaker and it kept setting it off. I tried one without a breaker and it still wouldn't turn on. The fridge was about 45 years old and had spent the last 8 months outside on my girfriends carport. Luckily, I did not have any homebrew left in it. So no ruined beer.I guess its back to the drawing board.-Rich

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

Bad news. The fridge stopped working last nightish. It was plugged into an outlet with a breaker and it kept setting it off. I tried one without a breaker and it still wouldn't turn on. The fridge was about 45 years old and had spent the last 8 months outside on my girfriends carport. Luckily, I did not have any homebrew left in it. So no ruined beer.I guess its back to the drawing board.-Rich

Craigslist

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

Congrats on the step forward. I used my cobra taps for about a year before installing the tower on my fridge. Would suggest picking up a third corny (trust me... you'll want it) when you buy your other items.

Get two more - I have a two tap kegerator and I have 3 kegs. I usually wish I had at least one more keg now :P

#7 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Would suggest picking up a third corny (trust me... you'll want it) when you buy your other items.

Homebrew law: you can never have too many cornies.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

Get two more - I have a two tap kegerator and I have 3 kegs. I usually wish I had at least one more keg now :P

+1... I 'm keeping my eye out for a 4th.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Homebrew law: you can never have too many cornies.

+1 while I agree with that statement I say this:Homebrew Law: You can never have too many freezers. I have 4 and wish I had a fifth so buy two off of CL and you will be ready to rock and roll for sure.

#10 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29304 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

I recommend 2 kegs for every tap you plan on serving. So if you build a 2 tap system you need 4 kegs. At some point this is not a big as an issue if you have a 5 tap system you could probably get away with 8 or so rather than 10. I also think that batch size come into play a little bit brewing 10 gallon batches it is nice to have 2 kegs allocated for every batch, if doing 5 gallons not as big as deal.I normally serve 5 and have 11 kegs (plus 1 - 2.5gallon). Based upon my brewing frequency this is plenty, but it is nice to back up beer when ever a keg blows.If you are planning on keeping this in your garage I would consider just using picnic taps rather than external faucets. With our heat and humidity I kept getting a condensation and mold issue. Switch everything to picnic taps which are not as cool, they don't pour as nice, but you can keep them in the fridge. (plus they are cheaper)

#11 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

Don't let the minor setback deter you. There is no greater feeling than pulling a pint of your own beer.My first step into kegging. Started with cobra taps.Posted ImagePresent. CO2 tanks now sits outside. 4 taps but fridge will hold 6 kegs, so I do a little lagering in there too.Posted Image

#12 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

I just got my Co 2 tank out of the fridge today, may end up putting it all the way to the floor eventually. That's my water meter in the background in case your wondering. I am glad to finally get atleast two kegs, and a carboy in there. So here's the lousy pic.Posted Image

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I would definitely put that tank on the ground. If it ever falls, you may have a rocket.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I would definitely put that tank on the ground. If it ever falls, you may have a rocket.

sounds like a mythbusters episode :)

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

+1. Those things are dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users