#1 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Wanting to brew a Peach Saison.  My last Saison with Brett was a huge success for me and is drinking amazing now.  I'm anxious to see how it does with age.

I have some questions about brewing with fruit.  Should I add some in the boil?  Or just secondary with it?  I was wanting to use fresh peaches form the farmer's market next to my house.  So I was thinking about getting maybe a pound (after peeling and slicing), mashing it up, adding a couple cups of water and boiling it to sanitize and make my own puree type thing.  Then adding that to the secondary.  Will this give me peach undertones or should I add some to the boil as well?

Also curious how the peaches will effect the gravity.

Recipe:

8.5 lbs Pilsner (2-Row)

1.5 lbs White Wheat

1.25 lbs Vienna

1.25 lbs Munich

1.00 oz Saaz @ 60 Min

1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 10 Min

WLP566 Yeast

Let me know what you think!

Thanks guys,

Gus

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

Do not boil the peaches. This will set the pectins, which will cause the beer to be very cloudy. Probably not a big deal in a saison but still undesirable in my view. Peach is a pretty subtle flavor and it's hard to extract into a beer/wine/mead. I recommend you talk to the guy at the farmer's market and see if he's got any overripe peaches. A lot of times they'll sell these at a lower cost because they're really only good for making cobblers. They're pretty mushy and there may be some rotted spots that you'll have to cut out but they have a lot more flavor than regular peaches. Use more than you think you'll need. It's hard to get too much peach flavor so don't be afraid of over-doing it. I'm guessing in a saison you'll want a pretty subtle peach flavor so probably a pound or two will do the trick. Blanch and skin them then slice them up into wedges. Then put them in freezer bags and freeze them for a few days at least. Then add them to the secondary. Sample the beer from time to time and if you're not getting enough peach flavor, then add more. A pound or two won't affect gravity enough to worry about.

#3 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Do not boil the peaches. This will set the pectins, which will cause the beer to be very cloudy. Probably not a big deal in a saison but still undesirable in my view. Peach is a pretty subtle flavor and it's hard to extract into a beer/wine/mead. I recommend you talk to the guy at the farmer's market and see if he's got any overripe peaches. A lot of times they'll sell these at a lower cost because they're really only good for making cobblers. They're pretty mushy and there may be some rotted spots that you'll have to cut out but they have a lot more flavor than regular peaches. Use more than you think you'll need. It's hard to get too much peach flavor so don't be afraid of over-doing it. I'm guessing in a saison you'll want a pretty subtle peach flavor so probably a pound or two will do the trick. Blanch and skin them then slice them up into wedges. Then put them in freezer bags and freeze them for a few days at least. Then add them to the secondary. Sample the beer from time to time and if you're not getting enough peach flavor, then add more. A pound or two won't affect gravity enough to worry about.

Awesome.  Thank you for the advice.  I had discussed freezing before hand with a friend.  I'm guessing thaw them out before putting them in?

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Definitely thaw before racking the beer on to them.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Also, use a bucket or cut the peachs into little chunks or you'll have a hard time getting them out of the carboy.

#6 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Also, use a bucket or cut the peachs into little chunks or you'll have a hard time getting them out of the carboy.

I plan on cutting them into chunks before freezing.  I'm more excited about this one now.  I hope it turns out.  We shall see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users