267 replies to this topic

#221 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

I plan on being in my walk out basement with my setup along the back concrete wall near a window. 

That will help.  I have the hatchway door near me so I will open that when the weather is nice.  Not really an option in the months to come though :)

#222 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

That will help.  I have the hatchway door near me so I will open that when the weather is nice.  Not really an option in the months to come though :)

Yea, I'm trying to figure out if I will get negative pressure in my propane furnace with the fan running. My water heater is electric so I should be good there. 

#223 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

Yea, I'm trying to figure out if I will get negative pressure in my propane furnace with the fan running. My water heater is electric so I should be good there. 

I never had to cross that bridge.  I have a propane furnace but it never comes on.  I am glad I did not have to think about that issue!

#224 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

I had a similar setup, I brewed next to a window in my basement.  I had an exhaust fan in the window with a makeshift "hood" over the brew kettle.  I always opened another window in the basement when brewing to prevent pulling back through the furnace exhaust.

I'm still alive, so...

Edited by JKor, 02 November 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#225 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

I had a similar setup, I brewed next to a window in my basement.  I had an exhaust fan in the window with a makeshift "hood" over the brew kettle.  I always opened another window in the basement when brewing to prevent pulling back through the furnace exhaust.

I'm still alive, so...

Id rather not have to do this. Bringing in cold air into my home is not ideal. I plan on tying some streamers to the furnace box and turn on the fan and see what kind of air movement (if any) I get with various fan speeds. Hoping that I can pull out steam while not upsetting the furnace at a low fan speed. 

#226 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

My basement was already cold and insulated from the rest of the house, so it didn't matter much. 

#227 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Well the new vent hood worked so so. It seemed to suck the vapor away well and out the other. The problem was the condensation. It collected along the inside of the pipe and the under side of the hood. Granted it was a pretty cool day outside around the low 50's. I had a few drips fall back into the BK. I would say I was better off without out at least for this time of year. Maybe in the summer it will help keep the room cooler, I don't know.

#228 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

Well the new vent hood worked so so. It seemed to suck the vapor away well and out the other. The problem was the condensation. It collected along the inside of the pipe and the under side of the hood. Granted it was a pretty cool day outside around the low 50's. I had a few drips fall back into the BK. I would say I was better off without out at least for this time of year. Maybe in the summer it will help keep the room cooler, I don't know.

I have a condensation issue also.  I made a "drip tube" on my exhaust and that is diverted to a sump pump.  you can see the modified piece of copper pipe in the picture.

httpss://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/859481_10151891122239657_414481656_o.jpg

#229 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, a condensation trap would help with that.

#230 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think I might have to remount the hood at a bit of a angle. It is level right now and just drips from everywhere, not alot but mostly from the center where the duct comes in.

And drez your not going to get much airflow with that insulation stuffed in there! :P

#231 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

A couple new additions to the brewery this week. First a new chiller. Up till now I have just been using the coil in the HLT as a chiller. Worked fine but was just temporary. Also could never do a back to back brew because of that. Just need a few fittings and I'll be in business.Posted ImageNext a new to me freezer that will be used as a fermentation chamber. The long term plan is a conical of some sorts. But for now I will be looking for a cheaper large fermenter for 10 gal. batches. Best part is that I traded a chest freezer that I bought for $50 to get it.Posted Image

#232 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

Is that stainless? Isn't there a bed next to your rig?

Edited by BlKtRe, 20 January 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#233 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

Yeah stainless CFC from Williams brewing. Sadly there is not a bed next to my rig, but there is one right above it. :)

#234 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

I have the copper version of that chiller and I really like it.

#235 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

I have the copper version of that chiller and I really like it.

Cool, I hope mine works well. I'm sure the copper would perform better but I'm kinda a SS guy. Just like the look. Plus it was cheaper.

#236 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

Cool, I hope mine works well. I'm sure the copper would perform better but I'm kinda a SS guy. Just like the look. Plus it was cheaper.

When I got mine the SS was not an option.  I picked up the copper one used for about 120.  I could not pass that up at the time.

ETA: I think performance wise it will be a wash.  Just my gut feeling.

Edited by drez77, 21 January 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#237 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

When I got mine the SS was not an option.  I picked up the copper one used for about 120.  I could not pass that up at the time.

ETA: I think performance wise it will be a wash.  Just my gut feeling.

the thermal properties are pretty similar.  the difference would be minimal.

#238 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

the thermal properties are pretty similar.  the difference would be minimal.

Um no. Copper is about 20 times better at conducting heat than 304 stainless. It's a huge difference.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 21 January 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#239 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

Um no. Copper is about 20 times better at conducting heat than 304 stainless. It's a huge difference.

it's a vague statement I made for sure.  in general people have seen little difference between copper and SS ICs so I don't see why there would be a big difference here.

#240 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

it's a vague statement I made for sure.  in general people have seen little difference between copper and SS ICs so I don't see why there would be a big difference here.

If both chillers are long enough to adequately chill the wort then you won't notice a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users