19 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Dang you guys!To prevent thread corruption, I will start a new one on this topic.

I have seen several of those large stainless steel conicals you put in your brew pot.  I'm wonder just how big does the hop container need to be?  Would something like this be too small for a 5 gallon batch if you are doing a good hard boil?

https://www.amazon.c.../ref=pd_sim_k_2

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think it might be okay for a 5 gallon batch with just a couple of oz of pellets.  just a guess though.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think you would need a few of them unless you want to fish it out for each addition.  I also would not use more than an ounce or two in there but that is just my gut and I have nothing to back it up.

#4 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think you would need a few of them unless you want to fish it out for each addition.  I also would not use more than an ounce or two in there but that is just my gut and I have nothing to back it up.

I share this opinion.....it also appears as though these are porous enough to allow some hop material to get our during boiling.Hop spiders have worked for me.....have you tried one of those?

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I find with the nylon hops bags I used for pellet hops it retained about 1/2 to 2/3 or the hops and the rest got out. It was better than not using anything, but still lots of hops sludge at the end of the boil. I went to leaf hops and the bags for perfect.   Those stainless balls have larger holes than by nylon bags so I wouldn't expect great performance.

#6 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Haven't tried a spider.  The only ones i have seen on the internet looked pretty rough.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Haven't tried a spider.  The only ones i have seen on the internet looked pretty rough.

I had a spider for a while.  4" PVC coupling and the old spear from a keg for the supports.  I used a worm clamp to hold the bag on.  It work good.  I think if I was to go back to that I would use a SS pipe fitting or glass marble or something to weight the bag down when I add the hops.  The bag always floated up for me.

#8 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I had a spider for a while.  4" PVC coupling and the old spear from a keg for the supports.  I used a worm clamp to hold the bag on.  It work good.  I think if I was to go back to that I would use a SS pipe fitting or glass marble or something to weight the bag down when I add the hops.  The bag always floated up for me.

Agree.....and for me, over time, the plastic collar was always being deformed over time by the heat coming from the boil kettle, and the paint bags were not only difficult to clean thoroughly, but actually never got all the way clean and were replaced at least once a year.....that is why I got a stainless version, and so far I am very pleased with the performance.

#9 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

mindblock, where did you get yours?  link?

#10 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26190 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I typically use women's nylons as hop bags for pellets - works well and keeps material contained. If I have a bunch of hops in one I'll tie knots and segment them like link sausage - I haven't noticed any off flavors from the nylons.

#11 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

mindblock, where did you get yours?  link?

https://www.stainlessbrewing.com

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

https://www.stainlessbrewing.com

Same place I got mine.

#13 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I also got one of the baskets from Stainless.  Only used it once, so far.  I used cone hops and they seemed to float/congeal at the top of the basket.  This was the bittering addition and seemed to do the job OK, but I hesitated to throw more in for late additions because I didn't think it would mix well and just make a big mass (mess) of hops at the top.  This is the smallest diameter basket so it will fit inside the IC of my rig.  Smaller diameter may be a factor.

I think it might work much better for pellets, but haven't done a brew with only pellets to try it.

Nylon paint strainer bags have usually worked well for me, tied closed with cotton twine and floating in the BK, no leaks so far.  They do tend to take on color, but hot PBW usually cleans any debris.  I like to think of them as taking on a nice "patina".

#14 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

I also got one of the baskets from Stainless.  Only used it once, so far.  I used cone hops and they seemed to float/congeal at the top of the basket.  This was the bittering addition and seemed to do the job OK, but I hesitated to throw more in for late additions because I didn't think it would mix well and just make a big mass (mess) of hops at the top.  This is the smallest diameter basket so it will fit inside the IC of my rig.  Smaller diameter may be a factor.

I think it might work much better for pellets, but haven't done a brew with only pellets to try it.

Nylon paint strainer bags have usually worked well for me, tied closed with cotton twine and floating in the BK, no leaks so far.  They do tend to take on color, but hot PBW usually cleans any debris.  I like to think of them as taking on a nice "patina".

I use a Sabco false bottom which does a very nice job of keeping whole hops in the BK where they belong.  I got the 6 5/8" strainer basket to use with pellets and when I use both pellets and whole hops, I intend to let the whole hops swim freely in the kettle, restrained by the false bottom, and use the strainer for the pellets.  For that reason I had the basket made a couple of inches shorter to keep it above the false bottom and siphon tube in the kettle.

So far so good.....I need to put a DIPA with a pound or so of pellets in the brew schedule just to see how it does under those conditions.

BTW, nice patina reference.....but a disturbing visual for me <G> 

#15 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

I made a hop spider, works great.

httpss://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/530448_455349714521389_1296499875_n.jpg

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

I also got one of the baskets from Stainless.  Only used it once, so far.  I used cone hops and they seemed to float/congeal at the top of the basket.  This was the bittering addition and seemed to do the job OK, but I hesitated to throw more in for late additions because I didn't think it would mix well and just make a big mass (mess) of hops at the top. 

The first batch I used it on was all whole hops.  I did 3-4 additions in the basket and they did float up but had no issues.  I did take a large SS spoon and stir the basket after each addition to get them good and wet so they would sink.  I also stir when I use pellets too.

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

I like the idea of a hop spider, but i use a motor with a stirrer on it to improve chilling with my IC.  I guess if I didnt have any flameout additions, I could just take the spider out and chill.  Otherwise, I dont see a way it could work.

I have been eyeing that dryhopper from the stainless place.  It looks pretty nice!

#18 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The first batch I used it on was all whole hops.  I did 3-4 additions in the basket and they did float up but had no issues.  I did take a large SS spoon and stir the basket after each addition to get them good and wet so they would sink.  I also stir when I use pellets too.

Yeah, I used a spoon too.  Just wanted to be sure the late additions would "pop".

I've not decided one way or the other yet on the basket.  I think it may work better in some brews than others.  Just want more experience with it.

I haven't found a false bottom I thought would work well with my set-up and kettle size.

#19 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I like the idea of a hop spider, but i use a motor with a stirrer on it to improve chilling with my IC.  I guess if I didnt have any flameout additions, I could just take the spider out and chill.  Otherwise, I dont see a way it could work.  I have been eyeing that dryhopper from the stainless place.  It looks pretty nice!

When I ordered the strainer, I got the dry hopper as well.....it is on it's maiden voyage as I type this (1oz Belma and 1oz Amarillo in a 5 gallon corny).....it was simple to do, and at day ten last evening the flavor and aroma was very nice.....I think I am going to like it and will report back how extraction works.....

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

When I ordered the strainer, I got the dry hopper as well.....it is on it's maiden voyage as I type this (1oz Belma and 1oz Amarillo in a 5 gallon corny).....it was simple to do, and at day ten last evening the flavor and aroma was very nice.....I think I am going to like it and will report back how extraction works.....

Yes, please do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users