10 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

I am planning on doing a 10G batch of RIS. My issue is that I cannot fit the 46# of grain in my MLT. What would the possible issues be if I was to use 2 MLT. I have a 48qt ice cube and also a 15G SS pot. My thought is to have the same amount of grain in each one(23#) and have the igloo set above the pot and have it drain into it. I have a HERMS set up so I plan on coming out of the SS pot and pump back though my heat exchanger and back into the igloo. I really want to do this without having to add any extract to the boil. Thoughts??

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you hit your temps in each one. Even if it varied a little it should be fine - especially with the HERMS setup. I say go for it and let us know how it works out, but I'd say RDWHAHB. :(

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. You can also just fill up the one tun as much as possible and supplement with a little DME if necessary.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. You can also just fill up the one tun as much as possible and supplement with a little DME if necessary.

Beat me to it. I was gonna suggest just making up the diff with DME.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

46#?!?!? for 10 gallons?You almost ready for another grain order, or what?

#6 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

I usually just brew 8gal or so when I do big beers like that and call it good.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

46#?!?!? for 10 gallons?You almost ready for another grain order, or what?

I may be soon!! lol ...

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

I usually just brew 8gal or so when I do big beers like that and call it good.

I guess I could scale it down. I plan to through it in a 7g barrel and I was originally thinking I would need some extra for top off but seeing I will not have it in there for that long I could do a smaller batch. Good idea.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

I guess I could scale it down. I plan to through it in a 7g barrel and I was originally thinking I would need some extra for top off but seeing I will not have it in there for that long I could do a smaller batch. Good idea.

Yeah just plan to max out your mash tun and calculate backwards how much you can make. Usually I'll end up with ~8gal on bigger beers. I'll either just fill two cornies to 4gal in the end or fill up a 5gal and a 3gal one. If your case try for 8 and then fill up your 7gal barrel and put the rest in either a 1gal jug with airlock or better yet in a spare keg under a co2 blanket if you have one handy. Top up as needed.If this is a new oak barrel we are talking about you are not likely going to be in there long as you mentioned due to the oak having a ton of surface area and it being new/strong.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

If this is a new oak barrel we are talking about you are not likely going to be in there long as you mentioned due to the oak having a ton of surface area and it being new/strong.

It is a used barrel from a small spirit distiller. It had Rye in it before so I will have to test every week or so to see how the character is coming out. I think that is what I will do, max out the 15g MLT and then whatever I have left I will throw in a 3g keg and keep it for top off or to drink by itself.

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

It is a used barrel from a small spirit distiller. It had Rye in it before so I will have to test every week or so to see how the character is coming out. I think that is what I will do, max out the 15g MLT and then whatever I have left I will throw in a 3g keg and keep it for top off or to drink by itself.

Good deal on the barrel. Sounds like a boot plan as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users