#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

So I was checking out the instructions that came with my Barley Crusher, and it says to not use a pulley with a motor on it. Anyone know what the big deal with that is? Could it be the sidewards tension from the belt on the pulley or something? It does say to use a drill, so I guess some kind of direct drive motor setup would work then??

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

So I was checking out the instructions that came with my Barley Crusher, and it says to not use a pulley with a motor on it. Anyone know what the big deal with that is? Could it be the sidewards tension from the belt on the pulley or something? It does say to use a drill, so I guess some kind of direct drive motor setup would work then??

Trust me, the drill works just fine.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

Trust me, the drill works just fine.

+1. I switched to the drill about two months ago. Great crush every time and done in about 5 minutes. Unless you like to tinker and build just go with a nice drill. Not sure about the pulley but I know its been discussed and advertised too I believe that you can direct drive the mill with a drill as well. Quick and easy. Have you brewed yet using your BarleyCrusher to crush the grains?

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

+1. I switched to the drill about two months ago. Great crush every time and done in about 5 minutes. Unless you like to tinker and build just go with a nice drill. Not sure about the pulley but I know its been discussed and advertised too I believe that you can direct drive the mill with a drill as well. Quick and easy. Have you brewed yet using your BarleyCrusher to crush the grains?

Not yet, she's still brand new. :angry:I might brew something next weekend when my dad comes out to visit. Maybe the weekend or Tues/Wed or something when I am off when he's here. Be kind of cool to do that with him being I only get to see him once every few years (I live in CA, he lives in MI). :cheers:

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

I agree that using a drill is easy enough and works great.My guess is that you answered your on question about using a pulley and belt. The lateral load on the shaft would apply a moment to the shaft and bearing that they aren't designed to handle.

#6 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

You and stellarbrew correctly guessed why they recommend not using a pulley. The rollers on the BC use bushings instead of ball bearings. The lateral load on the bushing will cause it to wear prematurely.

Edited by stangbat, 03 August 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

You and stellarbrew correctly guessed why they recommend not using a pulley. The rollers on the BC use bushings instead of ball bearings. The lateral load on the bushing will cause it to wear prematurely.

Without doubt, but would it really matter in a homebrew setting? I've seen a lot of setups with sheaves and belts. I went direct drive because it was easier, safer (didn't want to make a guard for the belt), smaller footprint and the beefy bodines were to be had then cheap......I can't imagine I have more than 15 - 20 hours on mine. And I brew a ......... well you know :angry:

#8 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Without doubt, but would it really matter in a homebrew setting? I've seen a lot of setups with sheaves and belts. I went direct drive because it was easier, safer (didn't want to make a guard for the belt), smaller footprint and the beefy bodines were to be had then cheap......I can't imagine I have more than 15 - 20 hours on mine. And I brew a ......... well you know :angry:

Probably not in a homebrew setup, especially if you don't go crazy with the belt tension on the sheave. However as a business, BC wants as few maintenance issues and returns as possible. So they aren't going to condone it or approve it.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Probably not in a homebrew setup, especially if you don't go crazy with the belt tension on the sheave. However as a business, BC wants as few maintenance issues and returns as possible. So they aren't going to condone it or approve it.

Exactly, cant imagine that replacing a bronze bushing would really be that big of a deal though.OTOH, :angry: Are there any KC brewers that get together anymore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users