#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Does anyone lager in kegs in a kegerator? Pros & cons of this?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

I've done this before, and it works fine. The only downsides I know are:1. You have to draw off a sample to see how clear the beer is. In a glass carboy, you can tell at a glance.2. If you want to avoid having a significant layer of yeast sediment in your serving vessel, you will need to transfer to another keg for serving.

#3 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

Holy crap. I was just about to come on here and post this very question......So regarding the yeast thing. why couldn't one just dispose of the first few beers or so until the beer runs clear?

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Holy crap. I was just about to come on here and post this very question......So regarding the yeast thing. why couldn't one just dispose of the first few beers or so until the beer runs clear?

After the first few beers, you will be pulling clear ones, true enough. However, you will never get rid of all of the yeast sediment by pulling beers. It will stay there in the bottom, and if the keg gets moved or bumped, you have to let the yeast settle out again for period of time, and then pull another cloudy pint or two to get the beer to clear again. I like to have as little yeast sediment as possible in my kegs, because I move them around occasionally. Sometimes I take a keg over to friend's house. If your kegs never get disturbed, it won't be an issue.Edit: cleaned up my grammar and spelling the best I could before I got caught again by the grammar police

Edited by stellarbrew, 03 August 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#5 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

You can and I dispose of the first few beers by drinking them. No problems lagering in a kegerator. This is how I do it all the time. It also allows you to taste the beer from time to time to time. I'ts really just a prolonged cold conditioning the way I see it.

#6 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

How about putting it on gas? Can you condition and carb it at the same time, or do you have to condition then carb?And if I were to dry-hop a lager... can you dry hop the lager in a keg and carb at the same time or or will have have to condition, then dry hop, then carb?

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

How about putting it on gas? Can you condition and carb it at the same time, or do you have to condition then carb?And if I were to dry-hop a lager... can you dry hop the lager in a keg and carb at the same time or or will have have to condition, then dry hop, then carb?

You can do all those things simultaneously.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64097 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

I primary for a few weeks, then transfer to a keg, chill to ~35F, add gelatin, carb, drink. If it's a keg that is going to move around, I transfer it again to a clean keg to leave the yeast behind. Otherwise the keg just sits where it is until it's gone.

#9 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

So here's what I'm thinking with my new kegerator only a day away. Based on the dimensions, I have room for three kegs plus the Co2 tank. I'll be able to keep two kegs tapped and a third aging/lagering. The anticipation is killing me....

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

So here's what I'm thinking with my new kegerator only a day away. Based on the dimensions, I have room for three kegs plus the Co2 tank. I'll be able to keep two kegs tapped and a third aging/lagering. The anticipation is killing me....

That sounds sweet Chad. Sounds pretty cool that you can have two taps and lager a third. Can you brew lagers as well with whatever your setup is for fermentation? I am sure you are excited. Look forward to hearing how you like it. Good Luck!!

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Have you thought about putting your CO2 tank outside? It is much more convenient, and may give you enough room for another keg!

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Have you thought about putting your CO2 tank outside? It is much more convenient, and may give you enough room for another keg!

Have thought about it. But where I plan on putting it, I don't know if I'll have the space to place the Co2 tank outside. I'll just have to see tomorrow....I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve!!!

#13 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Can you brew lagers as well with whatever your setup is for fermentation?

I have incorporated the swamp bucket with frozen bottles of water...which I can get down to about 56-58 degrees for primary fermentation. So I've had success using the WYeast Kolsch and Cal Lager yeasts because you can ferment those "warm"...at least warm for a lager yeast. No deep freeze for to drop carboys in :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users