#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Anyone know what the dimensions of a typical 15.5 gal. 1/2 bbl are? I'm really interested in the ID (that's inside diameter for the non-engineering type folks).

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Wikipedia gives a diameter range of 16.1" to 17.15".I'm planning on building my new brew system based around Sankes, but for my boil kettle I want at least 20 gallons. I was thinking of buying a separate larger kettle, but then it dawned on me that I could weld two Sankes together to get the additional volume. I wanted to get the diameter to determine how much height would need to be added to get the volume up to 20g. Based on the range WP gives, adding a 6" ring to a cutoff Sanke will get me over 20g. I just need to make sure that the two kegs I use are the exact same diameter.

Edited by JKoravos, 03 August 2009 - 08:08 AM.

#3 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Anyone know what the dimensions of a typical 15.5 gal. 1/2 bbl are? I'm really interested in the ID (that's inside diameter for the non-engineering type folks).

14 5/8" from the handles. Slightly larger inside the tank.

#4 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:41 AM

I typed "keg dimensions" into google and the first hit was this-https://www.micromat...ble-aid-11.html

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

I typed "keg dimensions" into google and the first hit was this-https://www.micromat...ble-aid-11.html

I didn't see that, thanks for the pointer though.

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Wikipedia gives a diameter range of 16.1" to 17.15".I'm planning on building my new brew system based around Sankes, but for my boil kettle I want at least 20 gallons. I was thinking of buying a separate larger kettle, but then it dawned on me that I could weld two Sankes together to get the additional volume. I wanted to get the diameter to determine how much height would need to be added to get the volume up to 20g. Based on the range WP gives, adding a 6" ring to a cutoff Sanke will get me over 20g. I just need to make sure that the two kegs I use are the exact same diameter.

I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but this sounds difficult to execute well without a ton of experience and very well stocked metal shop. Do you plan to do this yourself or hire it out?

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but this sounds difficult to execute well without a ton of experience and very well stocked metal shop. Do you plan to do this yourself or hire it out?

I'm moderately skilled and highly determined. :angry:

#8 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29306 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

At what point does kettle geometry come into play? It is my understanding that a normal 1/2 barrel is not good geometry for a kettle (but it obviously works). You are looking to double the height, without increasing the width of the vessel.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

At what point does kettle geometry come into play? It is my understanding that a normal 1/2 barrel is not good geometry for a kettle (but it obviously works). You are looking to double the height, without increasing the width of the vessel.

I haven't read anything about the geometry being poor for a kettle. Is the concern the ratio of diameter to height being low?In any case, I'm only extending the height of the vessel, not the the depth of the liquid. So, ultimately, it will perform the same at a typical keggle, except the extra height would aid with boilover prevention.

#10 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

I'd think as you increase the height, your boil off rate will go down. I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch and some SWAGging going on.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

I'd think as you increase the height, your boil off rate will go down. I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch and some SWAGging going on.

Is he going electric on this one??? IF he is, then I suppose he could put in two elements on separate switches. One on the bottom for when he does lower volume boils and another one about halfway up (to supplement) when he does large volume boils. If they are on separate switches, he'd only have to flip on the upper one "when needed". Sometimes I use my heat stick to help 10 gallon batches come to a boil.

#12 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

Is he going electric on this one??? IF he is, then I suppose he could put in two elements on separate switches. One on the bottom for when he does lower volume boils and another one about halfway up (to supplement) when he does large volume boils. If they are on separate switches, he'd only have to flip on the upper one "when needed". Sometimes I use my heat stick to help 10 gallon batches come to a boil.

I'm not suggesting that he'll need more wattage. I have 4500 watts in a keg and it is more than enough for 10g. I was thinking that with more dead space above the boiling wort, you are going to get condensation on the sides that will roll back and contribute to less boil off. And you'll have less air movement and more humid air above the boiling wort than with shorter sides. I'd think this would also lessen the boil off. But like I said, I'm guessing, I don't have proof.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

I don't think adding 6" of height will make a noticeable difference in the boil rate. Maybe if I was adding a few feet.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

I don't think adding 6" of height will make a noticeable difference in the boil rate. Maybe if I was adding a few feet.

If you are going to the trouble, why only 6 inches?

#15 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

I missed where you said 6", I was thinking you'd be adding a bit more and that you'd have more dead space than a few inches. I get that 6" adds about 5.3g if I didn't mess up a calculation somewhere. So it looks like you'll need a little more than that to have room.

#16 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

I have a 20 gallon kettle made from an old liquid O2 container. Maybe a local scrapyard has some?

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29306 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

I missed that, I was invisioning 2 sankey kegs stacked on top of each other.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

If you are going to the trouble, why only 6 inches?

Because it's a balance of adding volume and making the kettle too tall, and possibly difficult to deal with. I have a 15 gallon pot that I'm using to collect about 12.5 gallons preboil. It's doable but I get occasional boilovers, I think upping it to 20gal will help enough but not be too tall to deal with. Who knows, when I get the kegs and start building the system I may decide that 8" is better. We'll see.

#19 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

I'm moderately skilled and highly determined. :(

I'm not doubting your creativity or determination ... just cutting SS well and welding SS well takes some experience and skill. I'm watching your threads with interest, just want to be the reality check cause I personally hate frustration and seek to prevent it whenever possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users