Photo
- - - - -

Jockey Box 2 circuit SS plate - Prop it Up ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 43rd_street_brew

43rd_street_brew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

just purchased a two circuit SS plate for my jockey box. does it help to raise the plate off the bottom of the cooler? will this keep the lines colder/longer? i am considering putting 2 inch PVC under the plate to get it off the bottom of the cooler, but maybe i'm overthinking it.any other opinions? will it stay cold enough just by laying it in the bottom of the cooler? thanks.

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

I'm building my first jockey box right now too. My cold plate has feet on the bottom so that water can flow underneath it. Does your not have those?

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Better than anything is to get a little circulation in there. I have not done this with mine yet, but I plan to add a small submersible aquarium pump and a little tube that keeps water flowing over the plate.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

A much simpler solution, if you haven't tried it already, would be to add some salt which can lower the temperature a little bit.

#5 43rd_street_brew

43rd_street_brew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

I'm building my first jockey box right now too. My cold plate has feet on the bottom so that water can flow underneath it. Does your not have those?

nope ... flat on the bottom.

#6 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have actually read that it is better for heat transfer if you don't have water on the plate, only the ice. I assume it has to do with the temperature of ice vs ice water.For all my jockey boxes, I set them up to drain the water once it reaches a certain level because of this. It isn't the best use of ice, but it is supposed to perform better.

#7 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I have actually read that it is better for heat transfer if you don't have water on the plate, only the ice. I assume it has to do with the temperature of ice vs ice water.

I do not believe this is correct. A plate chiller gets cold primarily because of conduction. Conduction is most efficient when there is good contact. Water is going to be in better contact with the plate than ice will. Ice will have a lot of air space, liquid water won't. Best bet would be a slurry of ice and water.And adding salt will bring down the temperature of the mixture.

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

https://www.micromat...lio-cid-11.htmlhttps://www.beverage...DCP-D1-48.shtmlhttpss://www.kegman.net/coldbox.htmUnfortunately in my quick search I could not find any peer reviewed articles, but I hope this will suffice in backing my position.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

The Brewers Association has Jockey Box Setup and Use

Place ice both underneath and on top of the cold plate in the ice chest. As time passes, the ice will “bridge” and should be removed for better contact with the cold plate. Ice should be added periodically and water drained from the ice chest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users