#1 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

OK, Leo's white pizza:I don't have the recipe for the dough (we made like 200 lbs at a time) but my dough emulates it. Let me know if you need the recipe for that. The important part is to let it rise to a medium dough height. Leo's wasn't thin or thick crust. We let the doughs rise in the 1/2 sheet pans in the cooler for hours (up to 24). Doughs were oiled with "pure" olive oil, NOT extra virgin, but the Pure stuff that comes in like a gallon can.The seasoning: We mixed this up in a 25 gallon pail. make adjustments to taste.1 part granulated garlic (not garlic salt)1 part onion powder1/2 part oregano1/4 part black pepper1/4 part basil1/4 part marjoramI don't use salt but there was some in the original recipe. If you do, use< 1/4 part Kosher salt to taste.Any quality Eye-Tal-Yan seasoning could be substituted if you don't want to mix all this up.Sprinkle seasoning on oiled dough, add chopped hot bannana peppers (we did not use peperoncinis, but they taste good too) liberally on dough. sprinle some parmesan/romano on dough. Cover liberally with Mozzerella cheese.Bake till b ubbly and just strting to brown. Fight over pieces that have dough bubbles.We did these on 1/2 sheet pans and everybody had preferences about whice slice they liked; middles, edges, and corners. I was an edges guy; middles didn't have enough crust, corners too much.The pie you posted pictures of looked real good.ETA: I always like mine with sausage and onions. Maybe black olives, if I was in a mood.

#2 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have been enjoying my own interpretation of this pizza.  I like this recipe because less is definitely more compared to most Americanized pizzas.   I have mostly prepared a thin crust on a baking stone. 

The other night I decided to use a cast iron pan to make a thicker crust pizza.  The thicker crust made the pizza a little too dry.  Any suggestions of a small addition/sauce to moisten the pizza while being consumed?  I am wondering if the thinnest layer of tomato sauce would be enough while not altering the current flavor.

Marmot

#3 bshep

bshep

Deputy Comptroller of Teh Frankerector

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2764 posts
  • LocationDale City, VA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Adding sliced tomatos under the cheese can help.Some people will use ricotta or ricotta mixed with egg spread on  white pizza. Some people even use a bechemel sauce on a "white" pizza (I wouldn't).  I have used riccotta (now, not at Leo's) and its different but ok. In the end you have to eat it so what ever tastes good to you. Nowadays I often add fresh basil on top  if I have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users