#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64099 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

I'm looking to get a few used Sankes locally for my new brew system, where have you guys had luck getting decent ones? I figure I could scrounge around the local scrapyard, but I have a bad feeling that they'd whack me with a pretty high price (for a scrapyard keg, anyway). I could also call around to local breweries/distributors hoping that they're getting rid of some old kegs, or are just sympathetic to my cause (:facepalm:). I'd imagine if I could find a brewery/dist. getting rid of some sankes I could probably get them for free, or for cheaper than the scrapyard.Thoughts?

#2 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

look for used restuarant and bar equipment supply companies,(yellow pages) they'll buy out whole business's and sell piece by piece and usually have a warrenty on the stuff.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

What I did was post on Craigslist that I was looking for kegs. I actually got quite a few responses, picked up 2 corny's and a keggle for cheap. :facepalm:

#4 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

i got mine from a local beverage company. the guy always sells me hard to find tap setup stuff for cheap.. he was gonan gimme the kegs for 20 buck each.. but his boss caught him, and made him sell 'em for 50 bucks each..

#5 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

We always have 1 or 2 on craigslist in this area. usually twenty-five or thirty bucks

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64099 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

We always have 1 or 2 on craigslist in this area. usually twenty-five or thirty bucks

There a bunch of listings for kegs on the local CL...all in the 'items wanted' section. :shock:

#7 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

I've bought prob a half dozen from my local scrapyard every one for around 5$. once I got em to throw in a old pepsi corney that had a bad pressure relief for free. IMHO scrapyard is the way to go, but remember if they charge by weight you gotta empty out the old beer in them first, and also you may need some good haggling skills. Lastly they may wanna know what you are going to do with them, and you may have to tell them what they want to hear, as I think the big breweries are trying to stop people from reselling what is technically their property.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

I've bought prob a half dozen from my local scrapyard every one for around 5$. once I got em to throw in a old pepsi corney that had a bad pressure relief for free. IMHO scrapyard is the way to go, but remember if they charge by weight you gotta empty out the old beer in them first, and also you may need some good haggling skills. Lastly they may wanna know what you are going to do with them, and you may have to tell them what they want to hear, as I think the big breweries are trying to stop people from reselling what is technically their property.

Are they letting people go sort through stuff in the yard again at Haskell?

#9 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

Are they letting people go sort through stuff in the yard again at Haskell?

Did they stop? I guess I haven't been by in a good six months. Usually they would let me run up to the stainless part of the yard even if the rest was closed. I really hope they still let people back there, that place is like a playground and a treasure chest wrapped together

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:45 AM

I'm looking to get a few used Sankes locally for my new brew system, where have you guys had luck getting decent ones? I figure I could scrounge around the local scrapyard, but I have a bad feeling that they'd whack me with a pretty high price (for a scrapyard keg, anyway). I could also call around to local breweries/distributors hoping that they're getting rid of some old kegs, or are just sympathetic to my cause (:shock:). I'd imagine if I could find a brewery/dist. getting rid of some sankes I could probably get them for free, or for cheaper than the scrapyard.Thoughts?

May be worth giving Wachusett Brewery a call and see if they have any leaky kegs. They may sell them to you if they have no need for them.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64099 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

May be worth giving Wachusett Brewery a call and see if they have any leaky kegs. They may sell them to you if they have no need for them.

Yeah, that would be my first shot. It's a good sized brewery only a few minutes away and from what I've heard they're a nice group of guys.

Edited by JKoravos, 02 August 2009 - 07:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users