#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

I put a second keg on yesterday of a Porter that makes the rounds here. Basic porter with ~10% corn grits/flaked maize - whatever I have around. Fermented with Wyeast 1007.The second keg has a little sour tang to it. I suspect it has a lactobacillus contamination. I like it though and don't intend to dump it at this point. Actually kind of tasty IMO. Haven't dealt with a contaminated batch since - I don't remember. It's kegged and served at ~38df. So, drink it fast and sanitize/replace whatever it touched and don't worry? Obviously bottle bombs aren't a worry. I'm assuming that it won't go south quickly since it's at serving temps.

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

What makes you think lacto and more importantly where do you think it came from? I know how much you love belgians so I gotta wonder what you have lacto doing around your place ;) . You sure it isn't acetic? Did you oak it maybe? Use plastic fermenters? 3+ week secondary in something that might have harbored the bug?If you have it at serving temp you're golden. Lacto won't do much if anything below 60F and Acetobacter in addition to needing O2 to do it's thing also goes to sleep by 62F. I admit I was planning a bugged porter but backed out at the end after tasting what came out of secondary. It tasted so good I wanted it on tap but I still have ideas of a darker sour of sorts.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

What makes you think lacto and more importantly where do you think it came from? I know how much you love belgians so I gotta wonder what you have lacto doing around your place ;) . You sure it isn't acetic? Did you oak it maybe? Use plastic fermenters? 3+ week secondary in something that might have harbored the bug?If you have it at serving temp you're golden. Lacto won't do much if anything below 60F and Acetobacter in addition to needing O2 to do it's thing also goes to sleep by 62F. I admit I was planning a bugged porter but backed out at the end after tasting what came out of secondary. It tasted so good I wanted it on tap but I still have ideas of a darker sour of sorts.

LOL, actually my tastes are expanding exponentially. Blktre had a barrel beer a year or so ago that soured. First time I enjoyed a sour beer, and have kept going that direction. And I've developed a taste for the Belgians but haven't begun to explore all that's out there.I would guess it came from measuring grain in the brew area, I do mill in a different area but that may have done it........ It's not vinegar (acetobacter), not carbonic acid (but it is a little overcarbed), so I assume lactic. Similar to some of the sour stuff I've had lately. Anyway mine was usual SOP at my place - nothing out of the ordinary from the grainbag to the fermenter. Guess it will happen eventually if you brew enough. God knows I do..... No biggee, and I thought it would be OK to let it ride. Just checking with the BB.......

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

LOL, actually my tastes are expanding exponentially. Blktre had a barrel beer a year or so ago that soured. First time I enjoyed a sour beer, and have kept going that direction. And I've developed a taste for the Belgians but haven't begun to explore all that's out there.I would guess it came from measuring grain in the brew area, I do mill in a different area but that may have done it........ It's not vinegar (acetobacter), not carbonic acid (but it is a little overcarbed), so I assume lactic. Similar to some of the sour stuff I've had lately. Anyway mine was usual SOP at my place - nothing out of the ordinary from the grainbag to the fermenter. Guess it will happen eventually if you brew enough. God knows I do..... No biggee, and I thought it would be OK to let it ride. Just checking with the BB.......

Out of your production 1 keg is no big deal. Still interesting how it got in there. Due to space I push the limits and my grain storage is right next to my secondary storage area and I've never had anything make the leap. Heck I have a lambic and a bucket of flanders next to 30+ gallons of wine.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

LOL, actually my tastes are expanding exponentially. Blktre had a barrel beer a year or so ago that soured. First time I enjoyed a sour beer, and have kept going that direction. And I've developed a taste for the Belgians but haven't begun to explore all that's out there

It's a slippery slope.

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

That beer your talking about that soured in the whiskey barrel was one hell of a beer. Its alot older than a year or so. It was brewed in 05" or 06". Ive still got a keg of it somewhere.....Just a thought, but do you think this came from a keg that may not of gotten as clean as normal SOP?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

...................Just a thought, but do you think this came from a keg that may not of gotten as clean as normal SOP?

Probably, but who knows? The first keg went on tap pretty quick but it tasted fine - so I would guess the keg. Do you guys clean yours very often? :shock:

#8 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

Are you supposed too? I didn't really think you had to.

#9 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

I've got a keg of historical porter bretting away at MBC right now. I took my Black Sky Stout Porter, blended in a bit of the Abominator Smoked Doppelbock (13%), added charred oak chips and dregs from a bottle of George Gale's Prize Olde Ale.Anyway, I think its probably Lacto. I would fill that keg with 200dF-ish water and let it sit for a while after cleaning and before sanitizing just in case...Or...you could just fill it back up, without cleaning it with a Belgian Amber or something...

#10 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:04 AM

Sounds good, a sour porter. When I saw the title of this thread it got my mouth watering. I don't think you'll get a ton of lacto growth at serving temps, but you may still get some additional souring. I don't know that I'd hurry through that keg. If you're liking it then I say keep it going and see where it goes. Sounds yummy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users