#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Check this out: https://hbd.org/cgi-...r...0&item=603325.7% alchohol, and whats up with the three stages with "Beano"?? Is that the gas tablets that I'm thinking of??

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Check this out: https://hbd.org/cgi-...r...0&item=603325.7% alchohol, and whats up with the three stages with "Beano"?? Is that the gas tablets that I'm thinking of??

I tend to think it is. I remember reading something about beano additions, but for the life of me can't remember why it was used.edit:spelling

#3 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Beano breaks up the complex sugars.Lower carbs, less taste and basically a thinner beer.

#4 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Beano breaks up the complex sugars.Lower carbs, less taste and basically a thinner beer.

Basically makes it more fermentable due to the fewer complex sugars; and as Mudd says, therefore thinner.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

This just gave me a great idea for brewing up an insanely high gravity brew like this, except instead of doing 3 extract batches, I'd do one full size AG batch, but can 2/3rds of it. Then I can just feed the beast as I see fit. This is definitely a glass carboy not a plastic bucket task.

#6 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Beano is an enzyme

#7 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Look at this one also. This guy goes into great detail about how he brewed a 21%ABV brew. I've never tried it, but I was always a bit intrigued by the method of staggering the malt additions to really get the ABV up. He also uses Beano, but his methods are all grain.

#8 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Beano is great for anyone trying to get a high ABV. It can easily help a beer drop 20 points as long as the yeast can handle it. It also adds considerably to the fermentation time, as the yeast are usually not in the best of health by the time Beano gets dropped into the fermentor.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

Look at this one also. This guy goes into great detail about how he brewed a 21%ABV brew. I've never tried it, but I was always a bit intrigued by the method of staggering the malt additions to really get the ABV up. He also uses Beano, but his methods are all grain.

You I remember reading that awhile back. I thought "Cause of Death" is a great name for that beer!

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

Beano is great for anyone trying to get a high ABV. It can easily help a beer drop 20 points as long as the yeast can handle it. It also adds considerably to the fermentation time, as the yeast are usually not in the best of health by the time Beano gets dropped into the fermentor.

Personally, I'd probably add some yeast while adding the Beano.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Crazy, I wonder who thought this up for the first time."Eh, screw it Imma toss in this Beano that I got sittin around and see what happens" lol

#12 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28448 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Just as a heads up that yeast is theoretically capable of hitting 25% but its hard to do in practice. I tried a while back and detailed it on the other board but will summarize really quick:Mashed a huge grain bill and took the first 1/3 of the runnings to the side and added pilinocho sugar to it to make a malt/sugar syrup which I hopped and boiled for a bit and then canned that like you would for starters.Boiled the other 2/3 of the runnings like a normal beer, this would start out as a 1.100 gravity if I recall.I hit it with yeast nutrient, pure 02, and WLP099 and off things went.I monitored gravity to keep it in the 1.050-1.070 range and then would hit it with a quart of the syrup I had made, repeat.However alas the thing pooped out at 18% however it had the sugar for an OG of 1.210 so its stalled at something like 1.050 if I recall correctly (those numbers may be off a tad since I'm just working out of my head). Too sweet to really drink but I don't have the heart to pitch it incase I come up with a good idea down the road. That carboy has been sitting the closet for over 2years and even traveled in a move... :covreyes:

#13 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

this would start out as a 1.100 gravity if I recall.I hit it with yeast nutrient, pure 02, and WLP099 and off things went.I monitored gravity to keep it in the 1.050-1.070 range and then would hit it with a quart of the syrup I had made, repeat.However alas the thing pooped out at 18% however it had the sugar for an OG of 1.210 so its stalled at something like 1.050 if I recall correctly (those numbers may be off a tad since I'm just working out of my head). Too sweet to really drink but I don't have the heart to pitch it incase I come up with a good idea down the road. That carboy has been sitting the closet for over 2years and even traveled in a move... :)

I would try pitching another strain of yeast. Finish it off with dry champagne yeast or something like that. That's how I'd plan a project like that as it is. I think that around 17-19% abv I'd rack, then toss in a fresh pitch of yeast.

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Too sweet to really drink but I don't have the heart to pitch it incase I come up with a good idea down the road. That carboy has been sitting the closet for over 2years and even traveled in a move... :)

You're not married, are you.... :hehe:BrewBasser

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

You're not married, are you....BrewBasser

:) Is this our first BBs marriage proposal?

#16 dapittboss

dapittboss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Beano is effective in reducing final gravity, but, as noted, at the expense of the body of the beer. One drawback is that it can keep breaking down the residual carbohydrate in the beer until there is very little left except rocket fuel (alcohol and water). The only sure way to stop it is too keep the beer chilled. If the beer warms up again, the beano enzymes can resume there activity.

#17 dapittboss

dapittboss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Beano is effective in reducing final gravity, but, as noted, at the expense of the body of the beer. One drawback is that it can keep breaking down the residual carbohydrate in the beer until there is very little left except rocket fuel (alcohol and water). The only sure way to stop it is too keep the beer chilled. If the beer warms up again, the beano enzymes can resume there activity.

#18 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

Here is the maltose falcons Frankenale Mark IIover 20% ABV without beano. https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users