#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Here is my simple Cream Ale recipe. It's No. 2 because I decided the second version was the best. My mash ratio was 1.2 at around 154. US05 still takes it down pretty far.Type: All Grain Date: 7/28/2009 Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 % 2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 20.00 % 1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.7 IBU 1 Pkgs US 05 (Safale #US 05) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.72 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 % Bitterness: 21.7 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint Est Color: 3.7 SRM

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:01 AM

Deerslyr -It's seems Cream Ales get a lot of bashing on the boards but I really enjoy them so thanks for posting! They are very simple recipes, yes. But have a ton of potential!I've got a batch of my Black Dog Cream Ale in the secondary aging and clarifying right now. My five gallon recipe is below:OG - 1.050FG - 1.012SRM - 3IBU - 18ABV - 4.9%4.5 lbs. - American 2-row4.0 lbs. - Belgian Pils.75 lbs. - Flaked Maize.75 lbs. - Cane Sugar1 oz. - Liberty (4.00% AAU)US-05This batch will be my first beer that I drink off my new draft system...my dual tap kegerator is en route as we speak!The best Cream Ale I've tasted is out of a Laughing Dog Brewing up in Sandpoint, ID.

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

I agree, Cream ales are very simple but are perfect for any occasion! I just made one last weekend that I split between Wyeast British ale II and the Private Collection Flanders Golden Ale. I cant wait for these to finish! I used only Pilsner and flaked maize. Perle and styrian goldings.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

I ruined a batch of wheat beer by putting plums in the secondary. I soaked the plums in some metabisulfite, per some instructions, and it still ruined the beer. Was the worst tasting crap I've ever had, so I dumped it last night. Fortunately, I wasn't going to bottle... only keg and I had only cleaned the keg. So, now I'm 5 gallons behind and am thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch of the Cream Ale instead.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

I am gonna try this as my first AG beer. Deerslyr: On the other thread you had this with Perle hops, why the change to Mt Hood (I don't know much about hop profiles)?

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

I am gonna try this as my first AG beer. Deerslyr: On the other thread you had this with Perle hops, why the change to Mt Hood (I don't know much about hop profiles)?

I couldn't remember what I had on hand for hops, and given the computer crash last spring and loss of records, as I was thinking about what I did have on hand, I was 95% sure it was Mt. Hood. And when I plugged the Mt. Hood into the recipe, it came up with the right IBU's for 1 ounce at 60 minutes. Perle is usually well above 8% AA, so it would have thrown the IBU's out of "style" (as defined by BeerSmith), so I was pretty sure it was Mt. Hood. At 60 minutes, all you get is bittering anyways, no real aroma or flavor. You primarily get that from late addition hops. I know guys that will get high AA hops for the 60 minutes solely for the purpose of maximizing the amount of hops used for bitterness received. Then they flavor and aroma with what would be "required" for the beer profile. Perle is a great bittering hop, but I think my original thinking was that an ounce would have been too much and I do recall using an ounce. You will also note in the other thread that I have named this beer... Two Barbarians NFP Cream Ale No. 2 Go to the other thread for the "explanation". :)

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thanks! :) Rich

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks! :) Rich

My efficiency was pretty good this time around. I hit 75%, but I went with a 12 pound grain bill with 10 pounds of 2 Row. Ended up with an OG of 1.058. I had to use Polenta since my LHBS was out of flaked maize. George gave some great instructions and it must have converted well because I don't think I could have hit my OG without it. It's bubbling away right now. Have you tackled yours yet?

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Just an update. We had a party this weekend where I served my the NFP Cream Ale No. 2. I was serving 2 kegs, one made with corn, the other made with rice. They both turned out great and everyone who had it enjoyed it. People figured out how to use the taps pretty easily and once they knew which side was rice and corn, they were off and running. My cousin commented that the corn was more bitter than the rice, which is unusual because if anytning, I might have had a heavier hand on the rice version. The rice had a bit of a flavor that I was not too familiar with, but I am getting used to.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

I noticed that we now have the ability to upload files... here is the NFP Cream Ale in TXT format.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54142 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

FWIW, I made a beer this summer 3 times... twice with corn and once with rice. It's basically just a gold lager made with 2124 Bohemian lager yeast, noble hops, pilsner malt, etc. The corn version (only 1 pound in 5 gallons) was very smooth and delicious all the way around. The rice version is on tap now and it seems slightly drier to me. Not sure if it's the rice or what, but everything in the recipe was the same other than the 1 pound of rice subbed for the one pound of corn. I made it again with corn and that one is in secondary. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users