Photo
- - - - -

Considering Seriously Giving Up the Hobby (For A While)

vibes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14722 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Okay, time to get real. I haven't brewed in several years. Probably 3-4 years since I seriously brewed a full 5 gallon AG batch.My family is growing. We are super limited on space. I work a full time job (and then some) and have a moonlighting career as a musician that keeps me away from home sometimes as many as a dozen nights per month during the busy season. I kid myself that I will brew every fall/winter and get all excited about it. However, it's just too much of a hassle with the family, limited space to brew, limited storage, etc.So, I'm thinking it's time to throw in the towel for a few years, at least until we get a bigger house and things are less busy. Trying to decide what to sell off and what to keep. I'm thinking my keggle and big immersion chiller goes. My 20lb CO2 tank goes. They are kinda big and bulky, and I could probably fetch a decent price on CL for those. Truthfully, I could use the bread right now. I'm keeping my kegs, as they will become harder and harder to find as time goes on. I'm keeping my smaller brewpot that I could do small AG (BIAB) or extract batches on if I so choose at some point. I'm keeping my small CO2 tank and regulators, in case I get the urge to brew small batches at some point. Kegerator will stay, as it's just a small-ish upright fridge that currently serves as my spare beer/kitchen overflow fridge. Not sure about my small fermenting wine fridge. Also not sure about my temp controllers. I'm thinking they'll be fine sitting around, and they are not something I'd want to buy again. The wine fridge is in the way, though. Again, not sure. Haven't decided yet on my Better Bottles. I'll at least keep one of each size. All extra buckets and other crap are gone. Easily replaced if I get the fever again.I've got billions of little items (gadgets, fittings, chemicals, etc). Probably going to sort through some of those - trash some and keep some in a few small boxes.

#2 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Sorry to here this man, but I feel your pain. I am doing a lager this week, but have tons of stuff just sitting around. I sometimes wonder if its better to buy nice beer, but I brew, albeit infrequently, to feed my creative side. I wish that AG didn't require all the stuff that Ive accumulated but I'm glad that it is here if I need it.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Keep as much stuff around as you can. I didn't consciously decide to quit but all of a sudden 20 years went by. One of those reasons for quitting kept bugging me at the end of '04 to start again and show him how to brew. So I started again...................

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I agree with DJ. Unless that stuff is in your way, keep it. Especially the keggle and chiller. Those things aren't getting any cheaper. If you get rid of them, replacing them will be a barrier to restarting.

#5 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

If you decide to get rid of things, shoot me a PM. My brother lives in Raleigh and we have a cabin up in the NC mountains where we've talked about setting up brewing capability. Place is on a creek that has some of the sweetest water I've ever tasted.

#6 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

If you decide to get rid of things, shoot me a PM. My brother lives in Raleigh and we have a cabin up in the NC mountains where we've talked about setting up brewing capability. Place is on a creek that has some of the sweetest water I've ever tasted.

Yeah right, brewing! You sure you are talking about brewing?

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10727 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I like your line of thinking in keeping the kegs. I also agree keep as much stuff as you can that you have room for. I only brewed 4 batches in 2 years, but my stuff is all in the basement not taking up any useful space. You may find one you actually get rid of your stuff you'll want to brew, it's good to keep the smaller brewpot to knock off a small or extract batch.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

The cash you will get for it won't go all that far in the grand scheme of things. Find a friend who will use it in the meantime until you get back on the horse. Vibes.

#9 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14722 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

The more I think about it, I probably won't get rid of anything major. Maybe I can find a corner in the attic to put the brewpot and stuff. I've already loaned a good bit of stuff out to some brewing friends.As I said, it's not like I've been brewing in a long time anyway. What is bringing this on lately is that my son has now taken over the room that used to be my home office/man cave. I kept a LOT of my brewing stuff stored away in there. Yesterday, the wife had me clean out the closet where most of that stuff was stored so she could put the boy's toys and junk in there.As I mentioned, we are busting at the seams right now in our current place. We moved into this small place in '05 with an uncertainty of whether we could even have kids. Now we have two kids, we're still in the small space, and the housing market isn't looking good for us to sell and move right now.I've got my review tomorrow. I plan to talk to the boss man about my job future, etc. Could determine a move at some point. Either a relocation or the knowledge I'll be here for a long time to come and we can begin to look into buying a new place here.

#10 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

hopefully you keep your stuff and get back into it when you find the time and space. but, in the meantime, if you want to get rid of that 20lb tank, let me know.

#11 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25584 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

If you have somebody in the area that you trust, lend him your rig. Let him use as much as he wants, it's not like brewing equipment wears out.If you get the occasional urge to brew, you can visit your equipment and make a batch.You can also get a taste of brewing and home brew by helping him out with a batch once in a while.Can be a win-win for you and a buddy.

Edited by zymot, 15 February 2013 - 10:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vibes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users