#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10552 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Ok everyone has there preferred hop schedule they typically use. Wanted to see what others can come up for my next IPA using the hops I currently have/want to use. I want something very fruity/citrusy. IBU's of around 100. For bittering I was thinking/have on hand: Apollo Bravo Columbus Magnum Admiral For Aroma/Flavor: Cascade (only 3oz) Crystal Comet Citra (only 3oz would like to incorporate all) Challenger Belma (want to try these in there for sure) Centennial (fake blend) So what do you guys think?

#2 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25798 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hard to go wrong with Magnum as your 60 minute hop. Nice and neutral, gets out of the way if your flavor and aroma hop additions. One of the best IPA I have brewed was 2 oz magnum @ 60 min 2 oz EKG @ 15 min 2 oz EKG @ 5 min Bitterness and EKG flavor and aroma

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hard to go wrong with Magnum as your 60 minute hop. Nice and neutral, gets out of the way if your flavor and aroma hop additions.

One of the best IPA I have brewed was
2 oz magnum @ 60 min
2 oz EKG @ 15 min
2 oz EKG @ 5 min

Bitterness and EKG flavor and aroma

I don't think that's gonna be fruity/citrusy. I'd FWH with Cascade, bitter with Columbus, use half the Citra at 10 min. and the rest at flameout. Dry hop with Cascade and Centennial.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10552 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

OK I just threw this together and got 101 IBU. How does this look? Comet 1oz FWH Columbus .75oz 60 Blend 1oz 15 Blend 1oz 10 Blend 1oz 5 Blend 3oz 0 Cascade 1oz Dry Citra 1oz Dry The blend is Citra, Belma, Cascade

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Don't forget about the 175F post boil addition for extra resiny mouthfeel and flavor. Eliminates the 0 min addition in my brewhouse and gets more bang for the buck on late hops.

#6 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25798 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I don't think that's gonna be fruity/citrusy. I'd FWH with Cascade, bitter with Columbus, use half the Citra at 10 min. and the rest at flameout. Dry hop with Cascade and Centennial.

You are correct, it wont's be fruity citrusy. I guess I should have completed my thought.

Use the mangum for the 60 minute addition. Then go nuts with the fruity citrusy hops after 30 minutes as flavor and aroma additions. The Magnum will stay out of the way of the flavor and aroma hops and let their fruity and citrus shine through. (just as the magnum let the EKG do their thing)

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

IMO, Magnum doesn't cut it for AIPA. Not aggressive enough for my tastes.

#8 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25798 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

IMO, Magnum doesn't cut it for AIPA. Not aggressive enough for my tastes.

Hard to argue against bittering with columbus in a AIPA that you want to be citrusy and fruity.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10552 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

This looks pretty typical of IPA's I've made in the past. While good I'm eager to try a few hops I've never used before eg. Belma.

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10552 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Anybody else have anything to add or ideas? Or does what I have look good? I want to get the most out of the 3oz of Citra I have, wondering if they would be better using all late or dry-hop or ?

#11 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25798 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Anybody else have anything to add or ideas? Or does what I have look good? I want to get the most out of the 3oz of Citra I have, wondering if they would be better using all late or dry-hop or ?

My personal preference is to dry hop with whole leaf hops only. No pellets. I seem to get a fresh mowed lawn or grassy character when I have dry hopped with pellet hops. And why not? What are pellet hops? Hops that have been chopped up in a manner much the same as your lawn mover chops up the grass on you lawn.

Note: All I have is my non-scientific personal anecdotal observation to back me up.

It is likely others are likely to chime in and report they dry hop with pellets all the time and never had a problem. So take my words as just one person's opinion. But old zymot says. "If you have a choice, dry hop with whole leaf."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users