Photo
- - - - -

Brutus 10 - cost to have metal shop fabricate?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 commander flatus

commander flatus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Has anyone out there ever had the brutus 10 frame welded up for them by a fabricator? I have/had a nice brewing stand/frame that got horribly f'ed up by my movers when I moved from B'ham to NOLA. I'm getting a settlement from the movers for the frame and all the other stuff they trashed (long story, there's lots of it) and I'd like to replace the frame/stand. Unfortunately I don't have time or resources right now to fabricate something from scratch.Any pointers? I'm wondering if anyone knows a decent fabricator that might ship or could give me a ballpark so I can know if local metal shops are giving me a square deal.Thanks.Flatulently,

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:15 AM

Looking at images that come up in a google search it doesn't look like a difficult design to fabricate. In fact it's almost exactly what I just welded up for myself only I used old bedframe rails as I got them free. Only thing invested is my welding time.Figure out the dimensions, a rough drawing, and take it to a local fabricator. See what they say. I would think that even if a local guy costs more you'll save in the end after shipping.

#3 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

Has anyone out there ever had the brutus 10 frame welded up for them by a fabricator? I have/had a nice brewing stand/frame that got horribly f'ed up by my movers when I moved from B'ham to NOLA. I'm getting a settlement from the movers for the frame and all the other stuff they trashed (long story, there's lots of it) and I'd like to replace the frame/stand. Unfortunately I don't have time or resources right now to fabricate something from scratch.Any pointers? I'm wondering if anyone knows a decent fabricator that might ship or could give me a ballpark so I can know if local metal shops are giving me a square deal.Thanks.Flatulently,

ours was built using Lonnie's specs right out of BYO . he used all Stainless. our's is all square tube stock steel. the frame is powder coated.when the burner burnt off what it wanted, we then sanded and re painted that area with high temp stove pait.do you know any one with a welder. if you do offer them beer to weld. I think we have just the cost of materials. $100into ours and paid the welder a case or so of lawnmower beer. there are plenty of threads on the other boards. likeHome brew talk dot com and the green place.I'm not sure where you are located but you should have no problem finding a shop to hook you up.good luck. make sure you buy casters....

#4 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

Mine was $110 or so for the materials, all cut to length from BYO. Another $125 for the welder to weld it up. All told, about $250 labor & materials.

#5 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29318 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

Looking at images that come up in a google search it doesn't look like a difficult design to fabricate.

My understanding the hard part (and one of the cool parts) of the design is that the propane run thru the frame

#6 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

I also paid about 100.00 for the metal cut to all the proper lengths and then went to a friends and welded. I haven't welded since high school but all went well. We did have to work the gas beam a couple of times to make sure we didn't have any leaks, but wasn't to difficult.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49867 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

I feel like its bad juju to pay a welder in beer. Maybe cash plus a beer tip, but just beer seems awfully cheap and borderline disrespectful to me.

#8 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

I feel like its bad juju to pay a welder in beer. Maybe cash plus a beer tip, but just beer seems awfully cheap and borderline disrespectful to me.

I would agree with da dooba...Of course, I am paying myself with beer for welding it up!I am SURE with a little foot work, there are very many shops or individuals who would take this project on. It is not hard man. I made it all as easy as can be! :)Print out my prints, take them around and get some feel for what they want to do. A welder will charge for welding. What ya'll decide upon in trade is part of the deal but make sure you are both happy... A good thing about a good local welder is you will likely need him for something else one day...

#9 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

My understanding the hard part (and one of the cool parts) of the design is that the propane run thru the frame

Ah yes... The infamous lower rear ten thousand PSI exploding gas beam... I would NEVER have this any other way! :)

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Agreed. Before getting better at welding myself and trusting my welds on things such as the way my steering box is connected to my jeep I took such jobs to friends who were welders and despite being friends I always pay them for their work. Sure I'd throw in a 6er but I always pay them for their work. The 6er was just cause they were friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users