#1 nitroglycerin11

nitroglycerin11

Comptroller of Bulgaria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Been a while since I've been on here to check-in with the bros.I would like to add a second fermentation fridge (I currently use a wine fridge). I would like to add a second chamber to ferment in that can also double as a lagerator. I was wondering if there were any mini/dorm fridges that could hold a fermenting bucket and/or carboy. The wine fridges don't get quite cold enough for lagering and I still want something with an open-out door so I don't have to lift 5 gal of liquid in/out of, say, a chest freezer. I live in an apartment so it needs to be compact, thus a small fridge would be ideal if there are any models out there that would accommodate my needs. Thanks for your help.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I think those Vittles Vaults fit in a dorm fridge. Chuck_d would know...

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Did somebody say my name? The thing I have that is like a dorm fridge is slightly larger, but my VV fits in there with ease. My wine cooler, I'd need to look up the number but they might be discontinued, fits the VV perfectly for 10 gallons of finished product. I'll dig up the wine cooler's model number for you, it looks like this:Posted Image

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

That's a Haier BC112G that I got at J&R.But yeah, the lowest that goes is 45*F

Edited by chuck_d, 24 July 2009 - 01:20 PM.

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

I wonder if something like this would work. 4.4 cu ft.

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

And I dug up my kegerator fridge, which is slightly larger than a normal dorm fridge on it's footprint, not just vertically, but there is TONS of space in there for the VV, which is bigger than carboys, and if you remove the door shelves you can squeeze 4 kegs in there.https://www.sears.co...p;sName=Compact

Edited by chuck_d, 24 July 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

Did somebody say my name? The thing I have that is like a dorm fridge is slightly larger, but my VV fits in there with ease. My wine cooler, I'd need to look up the number but they might be discontinued, fits the VV perfectly for 10 gallons of finished product. I'll dig up the wine cooler's model number for you, it looks like this:Posted Image

Where does your blowoff go?

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

Posted Image

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Underneath the platform when I use it, but I haven't needed it in the VV yet. If I ferment a full 11 gallons of wort there is 2 gallons of headspace, about 18% of wort volume. But, the door window curves out and there's plenty of space to get the tubing down into the blowoff solution below the plywood platform, which I've done for carboys. I have a whole closed system I'm trying to upgrade to, but honestly the VV work as fermenters without any airlock even since it's a pain to get them to seal properly. They just vent the gas out of the lid even when you have an airlock on there.

Edited by chuck_d, 28 July 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#10 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

Do you happen to have internal dimensions on that thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users