#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

9 kegs in the deep freeze now...w00t!!!Just thought you guys would like to know. :cheers:

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

Whoa, 9 kegs...somebody has been busy.Nice feeling to have a healthy stash of kegged beer in the cooler. Gives one a sense of security and comfort.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:30 PM

Whoa, 9 kegs...somebody has been busy.Nice feeling to have a healthy stash of kegged beer in the cooler. Gives one a sense of security and comfort.

Shoot, I'm just ramping up!Only 4 kegs are from this year. I'm doing my best to get rid of the rest to free up space for some new brews. I'll kick at least 3 of them this weekend in my bottling session. I have a hefe and a vienna coming up in the next few weeks, so I need to clear space.

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26193 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Shoot, I'm just ramping up!Only 4 kegs are from this year. I'm doing my best to get rid of the rest to free up space for some new brews. I'll kick at least 3 of them this weekend in my bottling session. I have a hefe and a vienna coming up in the next few weeks, so I need to clear space.

good on you my boy

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

Sounds pretty sweet JK. I have 9 flowing in my freezers as well. I have a party I am hosting end of August and I need to run out the 9 for a fresh set of beers. 6 are in waiting and two more hit the fermenter this weekend. Enjoy, I am sure you are kicking out some fine beers!!

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

9 kegs in the deep freeze now...w00t!!!Just thought you guys would like to know. :cheers:

no pictures? WEAK!

#7 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

no pictures? WEAK!

Yeah, we know you have a camera...

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'm just getting you guys primed. Once you're in a frenzy I'll drop some pictures on you. :cheers:

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48016 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

Nine? Damn, I have trouble keeping 4 flowing.

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

9 kegs in the deep freeze now...w00t!!!Just thought you guys would like to know. :D

well this is good news for me...I better be getting a nice selection... :mellow: :P

#11 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

AHHHHH I NEED THE PICTURES!!! I CANT CONTAIN MYSELF...

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

wait for it.....

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

wait for it.....

BOOOOOOOO!!!

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

I'm just getting you guys primed. Once you're in a frenzy I'll drop some pictures on you. :P

wait for it.....

I bet JK is still finishing this thing up. We all know that he post pics. We are waiting!! :D

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

The collar screwed up the balance of the freezer. I think some of my beers were partially frozen. The cool air just can't travel up well enough to give a uniform temperature, the bottom was ice cold and the top was almost 50. I think I'm going to have to put a little fan in there to even out the temp.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

The collar screwed up the balance of the freezer. I think some of my beers were partially frozen. The cool air just can't travel up well enough to give a uniform temperature, the bottom was ice cold and the top was almost 50. I think I'm going to have to put a little fan in there to even out the temp.

pisser

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

How big of a freezer did you convert? What about putting insulation around the collar on the inside. I have seen and heard that works well also. Older freezer?

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

Do you have the temperature probe at the bottom? Maybe if it is to high the bottom is getting very cold before the top gets to the set point?

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

How big of a freezer did you convert? What about putting insulation around the collar on the inside. I have seen and heard that works well also. Older freezer?

It's a 12.8 cu ft freezer, the collar is about 12" deep. It's completely insulated with 2" of Foamular EPS.

Do you have the temperature probe at the bottom? Maybe if it is to high the bottom is getting very cold before the top gets to the set point?

The probe was sitting on top of one of the kegs. I put it at the bottom when I saw there was a problem. It should keep the kegs from freezing, but the temp still won't be uniform.The issue is that the freezer is designed to introduce cold air the the top of the cavity. The coils runs along the top 1/4 of the freezer. When the air gets cooled it becomes more dense and falls to cool the lower part of the freezer. It just isn't designed to cool things above the coils. Forcing circulation (via a fan) is probably the only way to combat the problem. That, or adding a ton more insulation.I have a bunch of 12V fans around, I'll drop one in at some point and see how it works out.

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10748 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

it's hard to visualize this problem without pictures :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users