#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

I have 6 gallons of tripel in primary right now (about 6 days in), I want to pull a gallon off at about .030 and add some brett lambicus and pedio to it. Is it OK to pitch a pack of each into just 1 gallon? I really want a good traditional tripel, so that is why I am not innoculating the whole batch. Worst case is I could pull off 2 gallons, and go 4 tripel, 2 soured, what do you think?

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

It would certainly affect the fermentation character. How, I don't know.FWIW, when I do my 100% brett beers, I always pitch about the rate I would for a lager.

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26193 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

It would certainly affect the fermentation character. How, I don't know.FWIW, when I do my 100% brett beers, I always pitch about the rate I would for a lager.

but Brett acts differently when pitched in secondary...don't think it would hurt, but I'm also not sure what to expect. Pedio is not very traditional in a triple FWIW. If you are adding the bugged back to the original it will all be bugged. It's either me or the beer but I'm not 100% sure of your plan here

Edited by ewanzel, 23 July 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

Why not pitch part of a packet in a starter to grow it up, and the other portion in your 1-2 gallons of tripel. That's what I would do for the Brett at least.As for the Pedio...Hmmm, you should just do a 5 gallon batch of sour beer. If it comes out good, 1-2 gallons is hardly anything at all to drink. With a long time of aging ahead, you might as well get more than 1-2 gallons out of it.

but Brett acts differently when pitched in secondary...

Yep, very aware of that.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

If funk is what I'm after I'll underpitch. As already noted Brett is 2 completely different animals depending on if it is the primary or secondary strain. If you pull off a gallon at 1.030 and pitch I don't think that the brett or the pedio will get a foothold before the primary strain chews the wort down to 1.010 or lower without a decent starter. The pedio might never have a chance at all being as its a trippel and pedio's ABV tolerance is around 8%.Even with a starter I really don't know if Brett will jump in fast enough to get much before the primary strain is done. It's 1 gallon, I say go for it. Never know you might get something interesting!

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thirsty, I basically did a similar same thing you're talking about with a tripel-ish beer a while back. I pitched dregs from a couple bottles of Orval into a pale, strong Belgian that had the Duvel strain as the primary. I pitched the bugs maybe a little lower than 1.030, but well above anticipated FG. I actually under-pitched the yeast a little as I wanted to make sure the bugs had stuff to work on. So far the beer has been wonderful. It had initially a lot of the floral and pineapple Brett character, and now is developing a sour bite and some funk. Overall I am very happy with it, so I'd say go ahead with your plan. I think the sourness will develop quicker perhaps if you include the bacteria, it sounds like a good experiment.

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

If you want sour, then you want Lacto.Orval dregs are a great way to get some funk, I've used this technique several times with great succes, and those bugs can handle alcohol up to 12% without flinching.

#8 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

If you want sour, then you want Lacto.Orval dregs are a great way to get some funk, I've used this technique several times with great succes, and those bugs can handle alcohol up to 12% without flinching.

+1 Just pitched a slurry of Orval dregs into my Primum Aurum which was fermented in primary with WLP510. It's an inspired brew, I'm not good enough to clone anything, but I love what brett does for that beer. I've cultured up large enough starters from Orval dregs for primary fermentation. One was a blonde that had two doses of sour cherries and a year later it was served at a good friend's wedding. The other was a brown that had incredible brett flavor within two months, driest beer I ever brewed what with the homemade candi I used.BTW I couldn't condone throwing pedio into the mix, considering OP trying for an authentic tripel which has no acetic or lactic acid flavor. Tripels must be spicy. Besides, you won't be aging for the sixth months required for pedio to do it's thing. Then you have that stuff in your brewery, ugh, tough critter to kill.

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

BTW I couldn't condone throwing pedio into the mix, considering OP trying for an authentic tripel which has no acetic or lactic acid flavor. Tripels must be spicy. Besides, you won't be aging for the sixth months required for pedio to do it's thing. Then you have that stuff in your brewery, ugh, tough critter to kill.

I kept 4 gallons seperate to still ferment out an authentic tripel. The 2 gallons I pulled off at .035 today and pitched both the pouch of brett lambicus and pedio. Trying for that sour cherry pie flavor. So I will leave that 2 gallons sit until the spring and see what I've got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users