#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

edit: duh.while on the danstar website I noticed "diamond lager". anyone tried this yet?

Edited by StudsTerkel, 07 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I have been drinking a Simcoe IPA that used this yeast and while it did start slower than I was used to the beer tastes great and it cleared pretty darn well. I will be using this yeast again.

I just now have my first two on board carbing. A Black IpA all whirlpooled and dry hopped and a all Centennial ApA. Both beers were brewed on the same day and pitched at the same time. I rehydrated and used 1.5 pks per 5g. While both lagged and extra 24hrs from what I was used to myself the ApA was 1.050 and started about 12hrs ahead of the 1.072 Black IpA. Both had a finishing gravity of where I expected and both were done inside a week. This was a interesting observation about pitch rates and original gravity.

Edited by BlKtRe, 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

so 3 packs for 10 gallons of normal strength stuff?

#24 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Since clarity seems to be an issue, anyone had any experience cold crashing this strain?

#25 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

so 3 packs for 10 gallons of normal strength stuff?

The only reason I pitched an extra half pak per 5g is because of the rumors of slow starts. I figured that adding a little higher pitching rate would decrease the lag time. I guessed wrong. So what I am now interested in is those that pitched 1 pack per 5g what their lag times and gravities are using this strain. Its possible that adding a half pak like I did is a waste of money if results are the same as my pitch rates.

#26 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

The only reason I pitched an extra half pak per 5g is because of the rumors of slow starts. I figured that adding a little higher pitching rate would decrease the lag time. I guessed wrong. So what I am now interested in is those that pitched 1 pack per 5g what their lag times and gravities are using this strain. Its possible that adding a half pak like I did is a waste of money if results are the same as my pitch rates.

Did you rehydrate?

#27 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Since clarity seems to be an issue, anyone had any experience cold crashing this strain?

I cold crashed in secondary. The ApA looked fairly clear out of primary. Since I dry hopped both these beers they for sure went through a cold crash for all the reasons that have been discussed before. I cold crash in secondary anyways regardless of dry hopping. I found the clarity going into secondary to be on par with any other med:high floccer strain.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Did you rehydrate?

Per my post above my answer to your question is Yes.

#29 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Per my post above my answer to your question is Yes.

I should probably read that. But it looks like a lot of words so maybe not right now.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Not the best picture but this was only cold crashed once it was kegged.Posted ImageAnd this was done with S-05 and was also not cold crashed till kegged but this one did have 2 tablesppons of bio-fine clear added to the kegPosted Image

#31 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I noted the delay in onset of active fermentation, but pretty rapid completion once it started. No issues with flocc. However, when I pitched the cake two days later it took off quickly and then took a long time to finish in an average gravity beer (12 days). This is different than my experience with liquid yeasts or with yeast I build from slants.I'd be interested if anyone else has tried to re-pitch this strain.

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I should probably read that. But it looks like a lot of words so maybe not right now.

It is your Monday.

I noted the delay in onset of active fermentation, but pretty rapid completion once it started. No issues with flocc. However, when I pitched the cake two days later it took off quickly and then took a long time to finish in an average gravity beer (12 days). This is different than my experience with liquid yeasts or with yeast I build from slants.I'd be interested if anyone else has tried to re-pitch this strain.

I cultivated just one of my cakes. The ApA cake. I did get a nice cultivation. I was keeping in mind your results using a pitched cake. I dont think I will be getting to use mine before it turns.

#33 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Not the best picture but this was only cold crashed once it was kegged.Posted ImageAnd this was done with S-05 and was also not cold crashed till kegged but this one did have 2 tablesppons of bio-fine clear added to the kegPosted Image

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics.

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

No diacetyl btw :)

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

No diacetyl btw :)

Just like S-05 :devil:

#36 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Just like S-05 :devil:

From Fermentis....

Ready-to-pitch American ale yeast for well balanced beers with low diacetyl and a very crisp end palate. Available in 11.5g sachets

From Danstar....

• Quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17 °C.• Medium to high attenuation,• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent upon inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.• BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast is a flocculent strain. Settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.• The aroma is slightly estery, almost neutral and does not display malodours when properly handled. It may tend, because of flocculation, to slightly reduce hop bitter levels• Best when used at traditional ale temperatures after re-hydration in the recommended manner.

No mention of diacetyl here....

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

From Fermentis....From Danstar....No mention of diacetyl here....

Danstar also mentions quick starts!At any rate, I see myself using the BRY-97 a lot this year. I like liquid strains but sometimes it is just nice to be able to pitch the dry yeast.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Danstar also mentions quick starts!At any rate, I see myself using the BRY-97 a lot this year. I like liquid strains but sometimes it is just nice to be able to pitch the dry yeast.

I hear you! I'm tempted to try it out in some denny's rye IPA.

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I hear you! I'm tempted to try it out in some denny's rye IPA.

What are you waiting for? Fill up those fermenters!

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

What are you waiting for? Fill up those fermenters!

you need to come help me drink some beer to make room!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users