#1 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

* * I don't know if this should go in here, the recipe section or if it should rather go into the Public House. This seemed to me to be a logical place to put it, but please move it if need be * *That said, I like to try pairing cheese and beer together every so often. I had some SN Bigfoot last night and ate some Kraft Cracker Barrel Vermont White Cheddar and was pleasantly surprised at how well they complemented one another. The other instance that really stands out in my mind was when I tried Blanche de Chambly with some maytag blue cheese made by a local farmer. That was almost ethereal.Anybody else have any suggestions?<insert BJ1833/morbier joke here>

#2 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

MMMMMM cheese and beer...There's a guy that lives down the street from me that owns a cheese house. He has this 10+ year extra sharp cheddar that goes great with hoppy beers. The cheese is a bit crumbly and the sweetness from the calcification really goes well with the bitterness and hoppiness of IPAs and such.*drools*

#3 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

I imagine a nice camembert or brie would pair well with a good, crisp bohemian pils. I would also reccommend some brunost (sweedish brown cheese) with a brown ale, abbey dubble, or any other brown, malt-heavy beer. In general i think the hoppier beers are going to pair better

#4 Seagis

Seagis

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

I get a lot of cheese from this place. They've always been knowledgeable and helpful with every order I've had, and their selection is top notch.

Edited by Seagis, 02 April 2009 - 06:52 AM.

#5 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

MMMMMMM...Gouda or smoked Gouda with Porter...MMMMMM*drools some more*

#6 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:36 AM

Another beer and cheese lover here. My favorite combination so far is Dubliner cheese with Sierra Nevada ESB. Sublime!

#7 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2657 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, I like a good chees with a beer. One of my favorites is a good Irish white cheddar. I like this with hoppier beers and also maltier beers like reds or browns.I also like to plan a big multi-course meal and pair each course with a different homebrew. I'll often have a cheese course when I do this. I haven't done it in awhile, though, because lately, I only seem to have 2 or 3 different kinds of HB on hand.

#8 Seagis

Seagis

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, I like a good chees with a beer. One of my favorites is a good Irish white cheddar. I like this with hoppier beers and also maltier beers like reds or browns.I also like to plan a big multi-course meal and pair each course with a different homebrew. I'll often have a cheese course when I do this. I haven't done it in awhile, though, because lately, I only seem to have 2 or 3 different kinds of HB on hand.

This is far and away the best Irish Cheddar I've ever eaten. I used to be able to purchase it from the Kroger that is 10 minutes from my house. I can't find it around here anywhere, so I've had to resort to getting it online.

#9 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2657 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

This is far and away the best Irish Cheddar I've ever eaten. I used to be able to purchase it from the Kroger that is 10 minutes from my house. I can't find it around here anywhere, so I've had to resort to getting it online.

Thanks! I am going to look for that the next time I'm at one of the stores with a good cheese selection.

#10 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14896 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

*drools*I've gotta try that IPA-cheddar combo. I'm a huge cheddar fan (Tillamook FTW!), and combining that with one of my IPAs would be heavenly.

#11 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

*drools*I've gotta try that IPA-cheddar combo. I'm a huge cheddar fan (Tillamook FTW!), and combining that with one of my IPAs would be heavenly.

Give it a shot...you'll like it. The more aged the better. The guy down the street has some that is 12yrs+ It is to die for. It's also pretty pricey at about $13/#

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

The other instance that really stands out in my mind was when I tried Blanche de Chambly with some maytag blue cheese made by a local farmer. That was almost ethereal.<insert BJ1833/morbier joke here>

Maytag Blue Cheese is can only be made by Maytag. It is a brand name, not really a style. I guess you could try to imitate it or something though. Interestingly it is the same Maytag as in Fritz Maytag and Maytag appliances. There's your beer and cheese! I really like the Chimay cheeses. The red one is my fave. The blue one is good too, but it has quite the stinkfoot thing going on. Drunken Goat is really good with my dry stout. I like washed rind cheeses with dubbels. Hennepin and other similar saisons go really well with brie, although I tend to stay away from the really funky bries. Hops and cheddar are so perfect together. I think that this segues into another realm here actually..... Beer and Pizza! I had a philosophy teacher in college that used beer and cheese for every hypothetical. I remember when someone asked him why, he told them that nothing else goes together so well, and no one could disprove it. I really like Point Reyes blue cheese with Belgian style white beers. Pepper jack and other pepper cheeses work well with amber ales of all cloths. I could go on and on.

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Anyone here that is in a homebrew club. Do any of the clubs get into homemade cheeses and of course the beer too. Mine has a discusion forum and Cheesemaking is a part of that. Sometimes for meetings anyone that has made some will bring in to share and enjoy. I think it goes with the idea of making something delicious. Now I am hungry again too.

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

I haven't noticed any in my club but I am new there. I know at Niagara Traditions HB store in Buffalo they sell the kits and a lot of books on it. My friend Courtney has made some mozz that makes you go "Mingya that's good cheese!"

#15 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12964 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

The new brewery here in town has a plate you can order with pairings. I recall one of the three the other night was blue cheese and their stout.

#16 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

One of my cousins lives about 10 minutes from the Belgian border and drives down there every other week to get beer. When I was at his place he served Gouda with mustard with the abbey beers. It was amazing. Mind you, the mustard was a hot mustard and just fantastic, not like French's.

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Ive got this cheese with welsh brown ale and mustard in it.... Freakin amazing!!!

#18 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

It's been said, but it's worth repeating.Belgian Dubbel and Maytag blue. Ahhh, better than sex....well, not really. :devil:

#19 TommyMc

TommyMc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCentral Vermont

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

At the Vt Brewfest they had a beer and cheese tasting demonstration with local cheeses and beers. Good stuff...I wish I could remember some of the pairings, but I'd sampled a tad too many brews..........

#20 Seagis

Seagis

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Maytag Blue Cheese is can only be made by Maytag. It is a brand name, not really a style. I guess you could try to imitate it or something though. Interestingly it is the same Maytag as in Fritz Maytag and Maytag appliances.

That's really interesting. I honestly didn't know that. I'm guessing that the guy that made it had tried the genuine article and was striving to duplicate the taste or something. At any rate, that's what he called it, so I took it and ran with it. :covreyes:Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users