#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42102 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

From some stuff that I have on hand that I wanted to use up before restocking.3 lbs. pilsner malt4 lbs. 2 row.5 lbs. munich1 ounce cascades @ 60 minutes.5 ounce cascades @ 10 minutes.5 ounce cascades @ 5 minutesThe yeast I'll be using is a slurry harvested from my last kolsch. How's it look, boys?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

I'd toss in some flaked barley or maize, but that's just me. Otherwise, seems simple enough, yet could produce a fine adult beverage!

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42102 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'd toss in some flaked barley or maize, but that's just me. Otherwise, seems simple enough, yet could produce a fine adult beverage!

I wanted to stay away from the flaked corn. Last time I used it the beer just didnt appeal to me at all. Everyone else liked it but I thought it sucked.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Looks like a good recipe. Light enough I say as well. What yeast are you going to use? There are several yeasts that go with Kolsch. I think you will have a nice golden and light beer with the Pils and 2 Row most of your grain bill. Enjoy!!

#5 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Looks really similar to a blonde I made recently. Only big diff with mine was subbing 1lb of malted red wheat for 1lb of base malt. And I finished with Amarillo.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64108 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

Batch size? Mash temp?

#7 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42102 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Looks like a good recipe. Light enough I say as well. What yeast are you going to use? There are several yeasts that go with Kolsch. I think you will have a nice golden and light beer with the Pils and 2 Row most of your grain bill. Enjoy!!

I'll be using Kolsch yeast.

Batch size? Mash temp?

This will be for 5 gallons. Mash at around 150 for an hour followed by a manly BATCH SPARGE.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

:soapbox:Brian, it would help a lot to know what you want this beer to be like. It's hard to evaluate a recipe if you don't know what the brewer wants that recipe to taste like.

#9 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42102 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

:soapbox: Brian, it would help a lot to know what you want this beer to be like. It's hard to evaluate a recipe if you don't know what the brewer wants that recipe to taste like.

Mtn, The title says it all dude. :rolf: A light tasting session beer, Although it would have helped if I had also said a lighter ABV, with nice hop notes with a crisp finish..... :covreyes:

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64108 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:44 AM

Do you know the approximate AA% on your cascades?I just plugged it into BeerSmith with their standard Cascades. I think your BU:GU ratio is pretty high for what you're going for. Depending on your AA, I'd move some of your hops from the 60 minute addition and split it between the late additions.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

If you are clearing out supplies, this recipe is going to make fine beer. For a kitchen sink thing, it looks like we are overthinking things here. The recipe you have here is good. It is hard to make bad beer with proper brewing techniques a an understanding of recipe formulation. That being said, I would hopburst it instead of the massive 60 min addition.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64108 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

That being said, I would hopburst it instead of the massive 60 min addition.

That's all I'm sayin', yo.

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

Mtn, The title says it all dude. :) A light tasting session beer, Although it would have helped if I had also said a lighter ABV, with nice hop notes with a crisp finish..... :)

Really? The title said all that? :wub:

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64108 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Really? The title said all that? :)

Yes. :) I think it did. :wub: At least that was the impression I got. :smilielol: Sometimes first impressions can be wrong, though. :sarcasm:

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Ok, I didn't get any impression at all so I guess you're more perceptive than I am. Someday you'll have to show me how to read all those words that aren't there.

#16 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

From some stuff that I have on hand that I wanted to use up before restocking. 3 lbs. pilsner malt 4 lbs. 2 row .5 lbs. munich 1 ounce cascades @ 60 minutes .5 ounce cascades @ 10 minutes .5 ounce cascades @ 5 minutes The yeast I'll be using is a slurry harvested from my last kolsch. How's it look, boys?

There's no way a plain, simple recipe like that is going to come out bad as long as you have good brewing practice and don't dip your balls in it. If you're going for a plain, light ale with a small amount of hop flavor and minimal malt, you'll get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users