Photo
- - - - -

How long do you go between major cleanings?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

I just did a major tear-down and cleaning of my kegerator. I replaced all tubing, I took off all of the faucets, scrubbed inside and out, refilled my CO2.I probably do this about every year or maybe year and a half. In between, I only run cleaner and sanitizer through the lines and maybe take apart the faucets occasionally. So, do any of you routinely do a major over-haul? How often? What's your cleaning routine?

#2 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

I just did a major tear-down and cleaning of my kegerator. I replaced all tubing, I took off all of the faucets, scrubbed inside and out, refilled my CO2.I probably do this about every year or maybe year and a half. In between, I only run cleaner and sanitizer through the lines and maybe take apart the faucets occasionally. So, do any of you routinely do a major over-haul? How often? What's your cleaning routine?

about once a month i'll fill a 5 gallon cornie with star san and presurize it with about 30 lbs. then i run that through the lines and taps. that's about it. i hardly ever change the lines themselves and maybe break down the taps once every 6 months if that. seems to work for me.

#3 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

Not nearly often enough. It's a mess right now, I need to gut it.

#4 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

Mine is about Flame Thrower ready. :lol: Dominus VobiscumSwagman :)

#5 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I clean mine up really well prolly once a year or so...That 'once a year' needs to happen pretty soon by the looks of it. :lol:

#6 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

BrianBrewerKS Posted Today, 12:07 PM I clean mine up really well prolly once a year or so...That 'once a year' needs to happen pretty soon by the looks of it.

I hear that. Before this cleaning, I had some pretty nasty stuff in certain areas of the kegerator.

#7 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

Mine has been neglected for about 10mo with only one beer left on tap... :lol: As I got rolling with brewing again a few weeks ago I'll likely have to access the situation, haha. I might consider replacing the lines but I usually just dissemble the faucets and soak them in oxyclean then hot water rise and star san. I run the same through the lines with pressurized corny.

#8 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

I will say, when I did the cleaning I was yet again impressed with the forward sealing faucets. I hadn't taken them apart in probably a year, but there wasn't a speck of grime inside them.

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

MY fancy keggerator is MIA.Only the ugly green monster remains.*thinking*Ya know... I've never cleaned down the inside. So I'm guessing the outside isn't the only thing that is an ugly green :lol:edit...WHAT!! No blush smiley? ??? what kind of joint are you guys running here? :)

#10 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19199 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Mine isn't even operational. Hasn't been probably for at least a year. I've been lazy and just using a cobra tap from the lager freezer. I've got tons of kegs to clean too. Ugh.Maybe that will be a project while watching basketball this weekend.

#11 buzhazzard

buzhazzard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

I will be ordering new hoses tomorrow for mine. I usually just rinse them, but they are over two years old and it is that time.

#12 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42072 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I replaced one of the serving lines in mine about a month ago. The only reason I did that was because I did something really stupid and ran rootbeer through it.

#13 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10810 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

I clean the line and faucets every time a keg licks.As far as the inside of the keggerator goes..it stays pretty nice. Except that one time... when I was force carbing....and it lew a beer line off the keg....and filled the inside with 5- gallons of foam and beer. That was a sad day.

#14 blorvak

blorvak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

I do a deep cleaning after each keg that blows. Is that weird?

#15 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:56 AM

I spray my faucets with starsan after every drinking night, both up the nozzle and on the button in the front, I find it helps keep the sticking down. I try to run BLC through the lines when a keg blows, but I haven't been holding up to that recently. I find I usually do a faucet removal and scrub about every 3-4 months, I haven't found any appreciable grime in them though, probably due to the regular starsan rinse they get.EDIT: This is in an upright fridge, I find I definitely don't have any of the humidity and mold problems that you chest freezaer guys have. My cousin has mold growing on the kegs in his chest freezer :)

#16 Geologist

Geologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

My first post on this board....I don't have a kegerator; I have a system from a bar, transplanted into my home bar. After each keg I run BLC through the lines, then after rinsing I run sanitizer through the lines. All QDs and the taps get taken apart and soaked in the same solutions. After I'm done serving beer for the night I spray the taps with ethanol and rinse the drip tray and drain tube with water. Call me a bit anal, but I hate off flavors and the little flies that like to clean up after me.I think I posted 2 or 3 messages on the GB during the couple of years I was a member. I'm still a member as far as I know, but that forum seems to be having some serious problems. Maybe I'll be motivated to post more on this incarnation of the GB.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

I spray my faucets with starsan after every drinking night, both up the nozzle and on the button in the front, I find it helps keep the sticking down. ...

Changing to Ventmatics or Perliks will solve that problem.Voice of experience here.

#18 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

Too long!!!

#19 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:26 AM

Changing to Ventmatics or Perliks will solve that problem.Voice of experience here.

That is on my to-do list, but at 6 of them it'll be pricy. maybe I can get friend and family to get me them for a birthday or something, it would beat the heck out of socks.

#20 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

Mine is about Flame Thrower ready. :) Dominus VobiscumSwagman :)

I second that.I built the freezerator in early '05, and haven't replaced the lines. I do run PBW, rinse, and Starsan through the lines on occasion. I bet my brass stout taps need to be taken apart and cleaned, and might as well do the ventmatics. I clean the insides before loaning it to The Pig Guy, for his annual Pig Roast. I really like the Clorox Cleaner, but lug it out side and use a hose and wet shop vac, let it dry and call him to pick it up. A lotta work for the BMC crowd. They really didn't know what to make of our Oat-Stout. I came back to the party and my joint compound drip trays were full. I guess they didn't understand the value of a nitro head. :)Edit: to add:Posted Image

Edited by crazy kegger, 27 March 2009 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users