#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

Ok this is my first attempt and time to brew a Vienna. I have not used this malt much other than in APA and IPA as a small portion of the base grains. I have put this recipe together and looking at it I see that my color is lighter than Beersmith suggests. How should I darken it up? What are the thoughts on hopping schedule and grains? Since this is a first attempt my goal is to just brew a quality style/type Vienna Lager. I choose 2308 as my yeast as I think its a fabulous yeast and hoped to use it and step it up for an Ofest and my Maibock as well. Thanks for the suggestions. Meet me in Vienna Vienna Lager Type: All Grain Batch Size: 5.25 galBoil Size: 7.11 gal Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 5.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 57.50 % 3.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 % 0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 % 2.25 oz Hallertauer [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.0 IBU 1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SGBitterness: 23.0 IBU Est Color: 7.5 SRM Mash Profile Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb Sparge Water: 5.99 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Step Time Name Description Step Temp 75 min Mash In Add 3.13 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

Just as with the pils, I'd mash this one at 152 - 153°F to bring out the malty flavors from the Vienna malt. Speaking of which, you're using continental Vienna malt right?

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Just as with the pils, I'd mash this one at 152 - 153°F to bring out the malty flavors from the Vienna malt. Speaking of which, you're using continental Vienna malt right?

Explain to me please what you mean by Continental Vienna. I don't stock Vienna in bulk here and probably would just get it from the LHBS and I am not sure anymore specifics on it since they just label it as Vienna. Educate me please!!

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Explain to me please what you mean by Continental Vienna. I don't stock Vienna in bulk here and probably would just get it from the LHBS and I am not sure anymore specifics on it since they just label it as Vienna. Educate me please!!

Continental refers to continental Europe (as opposed to the British Isles). Unless you can find a high quality domestic (that means from here :rolleyes:) malt, I'd use a German or Belgian maltster. I can recommend Weyermann, Bestmaltz, Dingemans and MFB from experience. Some domestic Munich and Vienna malts are made from 6-row rather than 2-row because they're intended to be used as a specialty malt in smaller quantities. When it's on center stage, it needs to be made from 2-row or the flavor will be coarse and grainy rather than smooth and malty.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for that explanation about the Vienna. I will make sure that I get the appropriate type of malt as I think that is critical from your explanation as well. If the LHBS does not have it I will find somewhere else to get some then as well. Thanks!!

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I don't think you need to darken up, but if you really want to hit the style guideline maybe some Aromatic. Or, you could go 100% Vienna as the base malt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users