#1 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

After many years of starting siphons by filling up racking canes with water and so on and resisting the urge to plunk down some cash on siphon starter I finally gave in when visiting Morebeer's showroom. Seeing the siphon starter up close it dawned on me that $15 was a pretty good price for a nice stainless racking cane that I wouldn't have to worry about breaking, as well as the ability to easily start a siphon by blowing into the provided filter.https://morebeer.com..._Gallon_CarboysAfter using this for my past several brews I wish I'd had this thing sooner. Racking is pretty much effortless, just set it up and press the orange carboy cap down to make a seal on the neck of your fermenter. Then blow air into the filter and voila - instant siphon and you're racking away. After use it is necessary to disassemble the entire unit - liquid such as PBW, Starsan or water will collect in the tubing around the tip of the cane near the hose clamp and will corrode the tip of the cane. If this happens you can remove the corrosion with a steel wool pad or something, but I find it's easiest just to remove the hose clamp and tubing after each use, clean and let air dry before putting away. I store the filter and tip for the bottom of the cane in a zip-lock bag to keep them from getting lost and to keep the filter dry. At any rate, this is a cost-effective and very satisfying upgrade. If you are at all bummed when you start siphons currently this is the ticket.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63924 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

looks good.

#3 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Is an "orange cap" available for Better Bottles?Marmot

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Is an "orange cap" available for Better Bottles?Marmot

The orange cap will work on a BB or at least it did for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users