#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

So I have a buddy who has about 3 or so extract brews under his belt. He's a real IPA nut and purchased this IPA kit from the LHBS. He asked me this morning if there was anything more he could do to it to kind of put his own twist on it (other than just increasing the hops). In the discussion, the thought came up to make it an Imperial IPA. I'm sure he could certainly boost the OG with more extract, but he'd likely need more adjunct grains as well, correct? Any usggestions? Is there something else that you would do to it? I think he has a good opportunity to make a real hop bomb, which I think he would do. But I think he wants to do more than "just adding more hops" to the recipe.Suggestions? Sometimes I wish I had my BeerSmith software at work.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

So I have a buddy who has about 3 or so extract brews under his belt. He's a real IPA nut and purchased this IPA kit from the LHBS. He asked me this morning if there was anything more he could do to it to kind of put his own twist on it (other than just increasing the hops). In the discussion, the thought came up to make it an Imperial IPA. I'm sure he could certainly boost the OG with more extract, but he'd likely need more adjunct grains as well, correct? Any usggestions? Is there something else that you would do to it? I think he has a good opportunity to make a real hop bomb, which I think he would do. But I think he wants to do more than "just adding more hops" to the recipe.Suggestions? Sometimes I wish I had my BeerSmith software at work.

I don't think you would have to add too much malt. If It's got about 1/2 - 1 lbs of something like crystal that would be enough for an IIPA. I would suggest considering adding straight sugar to the brew, It will really help dry out the beer and make it much smoother. I know that when I was doing extract it was common practice to add atleast a half lbs of sugar to almost everything. Something else you can do is add alittle munich, but remember to mini-mash it. It's a great thing for an aspiring brewer!

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

That looks like an extract kit so I don't think there are any adjunct grains in it. They would need to be mashed.In any case, to go from an IPA to a DIPA/IIPA a couple of things need to happen. First and foremost, you need more hops. You'll need to up the IBUs a lot. I think the recipe said 35 IBUs? You'll need at least twice that and I'd probably aim for 80-90 IBUs. You'll also need to increase the gravity about 10-15 points. I would do this by adding a couple of pounds of sugar. I would not add any more specialty grains, especially crystal malt. He will have enough trouble fermenting it dry enough as it is.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

That looks like an extract kit so I don't think there are any adjunct grains in it. They would need to be mashed.In any case, to go from an IPA to a DIPA/IIPA a couple of things need to happen. First and foremost, you need more hops. You'll need to up the IBUs a lot. I think the recipe said 35 IBUs? You'll need at least twice that and I'd probably aim for 80-90 IBUs. You'll also need to increase the gravity about 10-15 points. I would do this by adding a couple of pounds of sugar. I would not add any more specialty grains, especially crystal malt. He will have enough trouble fermenting it dry enough as it is.

I pointed out the need to up the IBU's as well. I've got some hops I can throw his way if he wanted. I haven't done an extract batch since summer of 2007... and we've been talking about doing an AG batch on my system for him. Perhaps we could do a nice base and then add the extract to the boil. I figured that if he got the gravity up to 1.085 or so, that would be pretty good. It would have to be a pretty weak mash, but then maybe I could use it as an opportunity to "can" some starter wort.I'd like to know what type of grains he was given to steep... I've been to this LHBS, and my relationship with the guy is a bit tense right now. He wasn't happy when he found out another buddy and I were making multiple batches off of a smack pack of yeast. Somehow seemed to think we were cutting into his business. And he also knows that I've been buying grains at another LHBS. I'd like to think he'd tell me, but he'll probably give me the third degree.I'm not a big fan of just adding sugar to the boil. Only time I have used sugar was when I used some brown sugar to bake some pumpkin for a seasonal brew last fall. And frankly it wasn't that much.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

I don't much like adding it to the boil either. My preferred way is to add it to the primary.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

I don't much like adding it to the boil either. My preferred way is to add it to the primary.

Perhaps I should clarify... I don't typically add straight sugar to the recipe. I am assuming that before adding your sugar to the primary, that you boil it is in water and then cool it? Why not add to the boil? Carmelization? Just trying to figure out why the extra step.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

A suggestion or thought I have for this recipe. I agree to bump up the IBU's but what about adding a speciality grain to the steep and make a "Black IPA" I would think maybe something like a few ounces of dehusked Carafa II or a few ounces of Chocolate or Pale Chocolate malt as well could work. A grain to darken the color but not put the flavor into a brown/porter/stout. Just a simple easy idea to add a twist as your friend has suggested.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Perhaps I should clarify... I don't typically add straight sugar to the recipe. I am assuming that before adding your sugar to the primary, that you boil it is in water and then cool it? Why not add to the boil? Carmelization? Just trying to figure out why the extra step.

In a high gravity beer (which is the only kind I'd be adding sugar to) it helps keep the gravity down and minimizes stress on the yeast. It's not a huge factor but it helps a little. I make a syrup out of it to sterilize and then add that to the primary just after the peak of fermentation.I think in an IIPA, some amount of pure sugar is almost mandatory, especially for an extract brew. Otherwise, the finish will be too sweet and this will detract from the hoppiness.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

35 IBU is APA land for me - I'm not sure what the kit is thinking calling itself an IPA. I'd say 50 IBU is pretty much the minimum but 60 or 70 IBU for something with this gravity is more like it. If you are actually going to make this into a DIPA type beer I'd say 90 IBU might be a good minimum to start at. My 2 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users