#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

I have been lazy and haven't cleaned my carboy from bottling my third batch a week ago. The carboy is sitting on my counter with about a 3/4 inch of beer left over the yeast cake on the bottom. The airlock has been off for a week and there is no sign of infection. The carboy has been exposed to air and light over that period as well.Could I reuse the yeast on the bottom? Its US-05 from a dry yeast packet originally. If I can reuse it, how do you harvest it? Should I refrigerate it? Do I really need to be sans pants for this to work?I've only made 3 batches of beer, so I am not really willing to experiment and make a bad batch at this point, so I am more likely to dump it than reuse it, unless you all really think its alright, or beneficial to use. Cheers,Rich

#2 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

I wouldn't risk it at this point. A couple fresh packs of US05 aren't as expensive (or traumatizing) as a ruined batch.

Edited by MyBeerPants, 15 July 2009 - 09:17 AM.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

If it's been open to the air for a week, then it's contaminated. Throw it out.

#4 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

I have been lazy and haven't cleaned my carboy from bottling my third batch a week ago. The carboy is sitting on my counter with about a 3/4 inch of beer left over the yeast cake on the bottom. The airlock has been off for a week and there is no sign of infection. The carboy has been exposed to air and light over that period as well.Could I reuse the yeast on the bottom? Its US-05 from a dry yeast packet originally. If I can reuse it, how do you harvest it? Should I refrigerate it? Do I really need to be sans pants for this to work?I've only made 3 batches of beer, so I am not really willing to experiment and make a bad batch at this point, so I am more likely to dump it than reuse it, unless you all really think its alright, or beneficial to use. Cheers,Rich

If the carboy has been sitting open to the air with nothing covering the inlet, then it is contaminated. I would not reuse that yeast under any circumstance.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

If it's been open to the air for a week, then it's contaminated. Throw it out.

If the carboy has been sitting open to the air with nothing covering the inlet, then it is contaminated. I would not reuse that yeast under any circumstance.

+2. Totally agreed. Given how cheap US-05 is toss it and get a new pack and pitch. As well no reason to jeopardize a new batch.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

That's what I figured. Lets say next time I want to harvest the yeast right after I rack to the bottling bucket, what should I do then?Cheers,Rich

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

That's what I figured. Lets say next time I want to harvest the yeast right after I rack to the bottling bucket, what should I do then?Cheers,Rich

Get a mason jar. Sanitize it and dump in your yeast cake after your rack off your beer. Then you can save it in fridge and repitch it as soon as your ready. There are plenty of sites that talk about harvesting yeast as well you can do a google search also.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

There is a "reusing your yeast" page on my site too. Click here and it's almost halfway down the page. Cheers.

#9 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

But what's the point? If we're talking about a liquid yeast, it makes sense to save healthy yeast for the next batch, but dry yeast is so cheap to begin with, why bother? I could see reusing a cake of dry yeast if you arrange things so that you have fresh, ready to pitch wort at the time you rack the prior beer off the yeast cake, but (for me) its just too easy and inexpensive to simply use another package of dry.

#10 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

its just too easy and inexpensive to simply use another package of dry.

Or two packs, at the price of dry, if wanting a big pitch.

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

But what's the point? If we're talking about a liquid yeast, it makes sense to save healthy yeast for the next batch, but dry yeast is so cheap to begin with, why bother? I could see reusing a cake of dry yeast if you arrange things so that you have fresh, ready to pitch wort at the time you rack the prior beer off the yeast cake, but (for me) its just too easy and inexpensive to simply use another package of dry.

I'm not sure what is going on, but my local is not charging close to $4 for dry yeast. Are we in the midst of the yeast shortage of 2009? :covreyes:

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'm not sure what is going on, but my local is not charging close to $4 for dry yeast. Are we in the midst of the yeast shortage of 2009? :covreyes:

I don't understand what you are trying to say. My LHBS charges around $2.00 for an 11g pack of US-05 and thats a ballpark for dry yeast. Your LHBS does NOT charge $4.00 for dry thats good, where is the yeast shortage in that? Are you wanting them to charge $4.00? Please explain....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users