#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

So I kegged the MLPA that I made with the Trappist Ale Yeast from White Labs. Definitely interesting. I don't think I'll do this again with this grainbill - I'll try and describe it the best I can - I suck at describing these types of things but the best way I can think to describe it is imagine your drinking a Russian River Damnation, then replace its malt characteristics with the MLPA malt characteristics with the belgian sourness. That is the best way I can think of to describe it. I actually think this yeast would go really nice with a much lighter beer with big hops.

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hey, sometimes you just have to experiment to find out. Sometimes the results are dissapointing, and sometimes you get a wonderful surprise. I salute you for trying. It might be interesting to see how the character of this beer develops with some age.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Oh it isn't bad by any means. Just different for sure.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hey, sometimes you just have to experiment to find out. Sometimes the results are dissapointing, and sometimes you get a wonderful surprise. I salute you for trying. It might be interesting to see how the character of this beer develops with some age.

+1. Hey if you like it and can drink it then that counts as well. I do agree with Stellar though. I would go with the WLP550 or Wyeast equiv 3522 since I really think that produces a good Belgian character without an overpowering sourness to it as well. Let us know how it continues to progress.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

+1. Hey if you like it and can drink it then that counts as well. I do agree with Stellar though. I would go with the WLP550 or Wyeast equiv 3522 since I really think that produces a good Belgian character without an overpowering sourness to it as well. Let us know how it continues to progress.

Dude, you're avatar is all win. One of my all time favs. I like to get a tanker of that every time I go to their brewery up in Healdsburg. :scratch:

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

Dude, you're avatar is all win. One of my all time favs. I like to get a tanker of that every time I go to their brewery up in Healdsburg. :scratch:

Thanks Badogg, I am a huge fan of the IPA style and I can get Racer here in NC as well. I think its an awesome IPA. I drank one as I brewed my Pale ale last night too. Someday I hope to get out there to CA and see all the kick azz breweries. Thats been my avatar theme for this site putting up bottle lablels of beers I have tried and liked. Racer 5 is one for sure. I picked up a bottle of Red Rocket and going to try that for the first time as well. Beer like that I would be up at at the brewery often.

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

I don't get "sourness" out of Belgian strains, unless of course they are blended with bacteria. I associate sour flavors with acidity. Brett can produce acetic acid over long periods of aging. Are you sure you aren't tasting dryness in combination with a tart, fruity aroma? Even my 100% brett beers smell like sour cherries but they don't taste acidic compared to my flanders reds, browns, and pales.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Are you sure you aren't tasting dryness in combination with a tart, fruity aroma?

I think tartness can easily be confused with sourness. Many strains do produce a tartness that can be overwhelming, and the thought goes immediately to sour, but I will agree, these are 2 different senses. Wyeast's forbidden fruit gives an unbelievable tartness, and ferments with cherry and fig, but it is by no means souring. Just being nitpicky I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users