#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Found this Plate Chiller on E-Bay. Seems like a good price. I don't think you could build a CFC for this price.

#2 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

Nice find! I might have to think about this.mike

Found this Plate Chiller on E-Bay. Seems like a good price. I don't think you could build a CFC for this price.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Nice find! I might have to think about this.mike

yeah, I wasn't necessarily in the market for one... but at that price??

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

I like the price so much I bought them all. Expect to see them listed back up for $90/ea. Or I can sell you one direct for $75.

Edited by JKoravos, 10 July 2009 - 10:21 AM.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

I like the price so much I bought them all. Expect to see them listed back up for $90/ea. Or I can sell you one direct for $75.

And when are you going to go into business for yourself and open an on-line stores selling beer brewing hardware?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

This one is only 39.99https://cgi.ebay.com...t-E...:1|294:30Thinking about getting 2 and daisy chainng them ..

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

This one is only 39.99https://cgi.ebay.com...t-E...:1|294:30Thinking about getting 2 and daisy chainng them ..

Same seller... I think I'm gonna have to do it!This would cut down on dead space loss of wort too!

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

Other one is free shipping though.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

missed that part .. slowly crawls back under desk

#10 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Is the 10 plate big enough for our purposes?mike

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Six and one half dozen for me... if I take the shipping via USPS, it only adds about $8.00 to the total. But it looks like he has PLENTY to go around. J, you are gonna have to shell out a lot to buy his whole lot.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

Is the 10 plate big enough for our purposes?mike

It should be sufficient if you slow down the output of the wort appropriately.

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

There is a 20 plate from the same seller for $67.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

There is a 20 plate from the same seller for $67.

I have a feeling that this guy is going to see a high volume of sales very shortly!

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

I might need to purchase the 20 plate one. This is a significant upgrade to the immersion chillers right? What port sizes do I need for this? Would I just need to get the 1/2" npt to be able to hook up to one of the ports on my sabco universal kettle and then use an adapter to use with a garden hose or something?

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

For those of you who already use a plate chiller, is trub a problem going through these type chillers?

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

I might need to purchase the 20 plate one. This is a significant upgrade to the immersion chillers right? What port sizes do I need for this? Would I just need to get the 1/2" npt to be able to hook up to one of the ports on my sabco universal kettle and then use an adapter to use with a garden hose or something?

I have a buddy that has one of these and he upgraded everything to use high temp quick disconnects. Probably the route to eventually go. I'm assuming my garden hose is the 3/4... and I can't remember if the faucet I have coming out of the pump is 3/4 or 1/2... so I have to check that out tonight. I currently use a homemade CFC that my buddy gave to me when he got the plate chiller, but this would be an upgrade. But yeah, you will see significant drops in chilling time, especially during the winter months. Even in the Central Valley, when the ground water is cold, I can get the wort down to high 50's in under 10 minutes. I'm also sure my pump would be more efficient with this (less distance for the wort to travel). As for the trub... I have a bazooka screen in my kettle that strains it out... my buddy does the same thing. But, I understand you CAN take them apart to clean them.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Peace out Therminator.

#19 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

I have a buddy that has one of these and he upgraded everything to use high temp quick disconnects. Probably the route to eventually go. I'm assuming my garden hose is the 3/4... and I can't remember if the faucet I have coming out of the pump is 3/4 or 1/2... so I have to check that out tonight. I currently use a homemade CFC that my buddy gave to me when he got the plate chiller, but this would be an upgrade. But yeah, you will see significant drops in chilling time, especially during the winter months. Even in the Central Valley, when the ground water is cold, I can get the wort down to high 50's in under 10 minutes. I'm also sure my pump would be more efficient with this (less distance for the wort to travel). As for the trub... I have a bazooka screen in my kettle that strains it out... my buddy does the same thing. But, I understand you CAN take them apart to clean them.

These things confuse me. :1zhelp:Can you gravity feed these or do you have to use a pump? And is this a wort goes in hot and comes out pitching temp kind of thing like the CFC or is it meant to recirc? I think I'm being lame about these things. lol

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

These things confuse me. :1zhelp:Can you gravity feed these or do you have to use a pump? And is this a wort goes in hot and comes out pitching temp kind of thing like the CFC or is it meant to recirc? I think I'm being lame about these things. lol

I can't speak from personal experience but I do believe that this type of plate chiller is meant to be used in conjunction with a pump. I can't see gravity feeding beer through a device like this either. I don't have a pump and have not considered one at this point either. Someone else can verify but thats what I believe about a plate chiller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users