#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

I'm not going to be using pure oxygen, but an aquarium pump and a length of tubing. Every place that I look seems to have 2 micron and .5 micron stones. Also, they are the same price on any given site.I'm assuming that the .5 micron stones, since they provide smaller bubbles, will allow oxygen to dissolve more quickly into the wort. Is my thinking correct here?Would the 2 micron stone make more sense for wort aeration?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

The problem with the .5 micron stones is that they plug up very easily. Also, even though they produce a finer mist of bubbles, which increases air to wort surface contact for a given amount of air, I believe the airflow they allow to pass though is lower than the 2 micron stone. A 2 micron works very well for aerating wort, and is less prone to plugging up.

Edited by stellarbrew, 10 July 2009 - 09:12 AM.

#3 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

+1 for the 2 micron stone.

#4 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

for aerating your wort +1 on the 2 micron as well. They are easier to keep clean. I sanitize for 10 min in Starsan. immediately rinse and soak after aerating for another five in StarSan before hanging to dry. After 1\2 dozen batches I place a small metal colander in a saucepan of boiling water and drop the stone in the colander and let it boil for about fifteen minute or so as a preventive measure and to get any grunges that may be stuck in the stone out. Have been using the same stone for about 3 years now with no ill effects. also when using a stone I have found slow as you go with the air-flow. Too fast just foams up your wort too fast and you have to stop too soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users