#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hooray! My second beer, the SNPA/MLPA recipe mix, which I affectionately call Bastard Pale Ale is now a beer! After 9 days carbonating I tried my first bottle tonight. I like it, my roommate doesn't, but he doesn't like hoppy beers. I pretty much used the MLPA malt recipe with the SNPA hops and schedule. To me it tastes like a bit off SNPA, but I'll wait and get some more honed pallets to taste it before I make it again. Its probably got some off flavors because I can't control temps too well, but I cant tell.Oh yeah, did I mention I was drunk as skunk when I brewed it, against all odds, no infections, its a beer. I am just happy this one carbonated properly, my first batch didn't.Posted Image

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

Nice twist on the MLPA with the hop schedule. Looks like a quality beer from here. I am impressed you even got that much carbonation in 9 days of bottle conditioning. It should increase over the next few weeks as well. Hey brewing the beers only gets easier from here on out. Congrats and enjoy.

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:48 AM

Yea congrats! Looks great!Now put it down and brew more! And get a new roommate. :1zhelp:

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

... I was drunk as skunk when I brewed it, ...

And you remembered to put the yeast in.Well done sir!

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

:devil: :1zhelp:

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

Nice twist on the MLPA with the hop schedule. Looks like a quality beer from here. I am impressed you even got that much carbonation in 9 days of bottle conditioning. It should increase over the next few weeks as well. Hey brewing the beers only gets easier from here on out. Congrats and enjoy.

It was fully carbonated already. That pic is after about 15 minutes of sitting in the glass.Could this be a problem? I hope I don't get bottle bombs! :1zhelp:

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Could this be a problem? I hope I don't get bottle bombs! :1zhelp:

shouldn't be unless it's really carbed (think enough that it tingles (pins) your tongue) alreadybefore I had a bottling bucket i used to measure corn sugar straight into each bottle which led me to some really overcarbed beers. Never a bottle bomb but once I did have an opener puncture a hole in the cap instead of taking it off and i got it right in the face and about a 15 foot radius in my kitchen....oh the good ole days

#8 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

it's probably already carbonated cause the bottles are being stored warm - which may explain the flavors you're mentioning...

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

it's probably already carbonated cause the bottles are being stored warm - which may explain the flavors you're mentioning...

It is 72 F in the armoire where they carbonate. I would have to use a swamp cooler to carbonate them at a cooler temp. Plus, I would guess that the flavors appear during primary fermentation rather than carbonation, which is done in my swamp cooler at about 69 F. I am assuming there are slight off flavors because they were in my first beer and I am not doing anything different during primary. I cant find the flavors, but I will give some bottles to my buddy and he will be able to tell.

#10 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

It is 72 F in the armoire where they carbonate. I would have to use a swamp cooler to carbonate them at a cooler temp. Plus, I would guess that the flavors appear during primary fermentation rather than carbonation, which is done in my swamp cooler at about 69 F. I am assuming there are slight off flavors because they were in my first beer and I am not doing anything different during primary. I cant find the flavors, but I will give some bottles to my buddy and he will be able to tell.

make sure you're not using a hose. i learned that one the hard way (brewed 15 gallons of chloriny, pvc flavored ass water.)i noticed that it's undetectable going into the brew pot, and into the fermenter, but it comes out after the beer has been fermented through.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

make sure you're not using a hose. i learned that one the hard way (brewed 15 gallons of chloriny, pvc flavored ass water.)i noticed that it's undetectable going into the brew pot, and into the fermenter, but it comes out after the beer has been fermented through.

I use 4 gal zephyrhills spring water, 2 gal distilled. No tap water or hose water. The water in the swamp cooler comes from the hose, but I primary in glass carboys so there shouldn't be any leaching.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Its probably got some off flavors because I can't control temps too well, but I cant tell.

In addition to temps, off flavors can be caused by not fermenting long enough. If the beer sits on the yeast a bit longer, even with no visible activity, the yeast will continue to clean things up. How long did you leave it in the primary? With the exception of my Hefe, I typically stay in primary for at least 3 weeks.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

In addition to temps, off flavors can be caused by not fermenting long enough. If the beer sits on the yeast a bit longer, even with no visible activity, the yeast will continue to clean things up. How long did you leave it in the primary? With the exception of my Hefe, I typically stay in primary for at least 3 weeks.

4 Weeks.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

I just got home from helping the GF pack up in Gainesville. Before I left I threw in a six pack of Bastard. It definitely had some chill haze, but it was very, very refreshing. I think this is a good beer. Gonna drop some off to some friends for taste testing tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users