#1 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

I was just at my local beer bar and noticed they had Rodenbach Grande Cru on draft. When ordering I was informed that rodenbach is apparently going to be closing. Doing a google search pulled up limited with results, but indicate that it may be that they are changing brewers or something about the casks being too old to use any longer resulting in a poor quality product...say it aint so, how can this happen. If anyone knows any details please chime in.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Did you find any recent information? The stuff I found about their closing was dated 2000...I didn't do a comprehensive search though.That would certainly suck if really true though.

#3 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

I asked one of my suppliers today about this and they have had no indication from the broker that anything was going on. And I hope not, because it is my wife's favorite brewery, and well... I would rather not go there.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

I was just at my local beer bar and noticed they had Rodenbach Grande Cru on draft.

Oh man .. who had this on tap??

#5 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Armsby Abbey - Main St. Worcester MA.As for current information, nothing. In MA its been really hard to get Rodenbach and it started off as an issue with their distributor over seas from what I was told. I agree it would be aweful if it was true...seems like an unlikely story though as it seems that style is really getting popular. I see more and more variety in the flanders/lambic style beers each week, I was just in Burlington, VT and the VT Brewery Pub even made a flanders red and i believe flatbread up there had something in the works as well, I cant see Rodenbach bailing at this point in the game.

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Armsby Abbey - Main St. Worcester MA..

I am there. Not that much of a hike for me at all. What else do they have to make the trip worthwhile?FWIW I was told Rodenbach has not been the same the last 12 or so years anyhow, the casks are all different and the flavor is not the same. Still awesome now, I never had it 12 years ago.

#7 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11705 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

I don't think that's true about the casks; there's no mention of it in Wild Brews from like '04. The book does mention that the large 5000 gallon casks get well cleaned at least every 20 years...

#8 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

I broke my Rodenbach glass this morning :) so it must be true. :rolf:

#9 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

I am there. Not that much of a hike for me at all. What else do they have to make the trip worthwhile?FWIW I was told Rodenbach has not been the same the last 12 or so years anyhow, the casks are all different and the flavor is not the same. Still awesome now, I never had it 12 years ago.

Well....great food (all ingredients are from local farms), all the beer is served in appropriate glassware. But for a selection of beer...I mean the owner has a great draft selection that changed each week, the bottle list is really huge with anything and everything he can get his hands on...gruit, 120 minute, fruit beers, olah dubh aged ales up to 30 year i think, rochefort 10, i mean the list is too much for me to remember but it is definitely extensive. As for liquor...only craft spirits like Pearl Vodka, Cisco Breweries Spirits (forgot the name), Rogue spirits...etc...I mean drifts are fantastic, beer is served at the right temp (through all perlick faucets) in the right glass...Its the moan and dove of Worcester. I am sure youd be pleased with what they have to offer.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:13 AM

Armsby Abbey - Main St. Worcester MA.

That is what I thought ... Hmm .. have to see if I can get up there. They had a bottled Flanders from De Dolle that was awesome .. the 16 a bottle price tag hurt .. but hey, I was not paying. I had read somewhere that Rodenbach lost its distributor into the US and has been spotty. I know I have not seen it at Table and Vine for about 6 months. I was happy when I found a bottle of it this weekend hiding in the keg fridge, score!

#11 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

That is what I thought ... Hmm .. have to see if I can get up there. They had a bottled Flanders from De Dolle that was awesome .. the 16 a bottle price tag hurt .. but hey, I was not paying. I had read somewhere that Rodenbach lost its distributor into the US and has been spotty. I know I have not seen it at Table and Vine for about 6 months. I was happy when I found a bottle of it this weekend hiding in the keg fridge, score!

Thats what I heard regarding the distributor. I havent seen any bottles for ages now. I was amazed to be able to get a bottle when I was in VT and then even more surprised when the Abbey had it on tap. My initial thought was that they finally got distribution up and running again, but I suppose well have to wait and see.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

Talked to a friend in CT and he is seeing it in the stores down there .. So I am hoping it is making its way back this way ..

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

I would highly doubt that they are closing. They were bought a few years ago by Palm and it is too valuable a brand to shut down. As for the casks, they have full time coopers on staff that are constantly working on the casks. If Palm ever dumped them, someone else would pick them up. I wondered why I hadn't been able to get it in forever. I wonder what is up with the distribution though. Hopefully it gets straightened out soon because I love that stuff. It really inspires me. Shit, I made 55 gallons of sour red ale! Drinking one now.

#14 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I recall hearing about some Belgian brewery (last year?) that had some kind of a screwup with the temp control in their aging area and lost a good fraction (all?) of their year's output. Was that Rodenbach?

#15 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11705 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

It was Drie Fonteinen.

#16 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

. I know I have not seen it at Table and Vine for about 6 months. , score!

Sorry about that, I bought the last 2 bottles of it there. I think that may be a Shelton Bros import, and T&V is getting mixed receivings from their orders with Dan Shelton. The Cantillon got scooped up pretty quick too. :scratch:

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Sorry about that, I bought the last 2 bottles of it there. I think that may be a Shelton Bros import, and T&V is getting mixed receivings from their orders with Dan Shelton. The Cantillon got scooped up pretty quick too. :scratch:

I noticed that!! I still have 6 bottles of Cantillon so I am good there. A friend found a store selling 750 ml for 8 bucks! He bought all they had and a case of Boon Gueze. I know when I went to T&V and asked to get a bottle of Lou Pepe they gave me a story of someone owing somebody money and until that was fixed they would not be getting any more.Who knows!! Just wish all the sour beers would come back in stock. Love me a sour!

#18 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11705 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

The big question is when will we be getting any of the awesome domestic sours sprouting up everywhere!

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:59 PM

The big question is when will we be getting any of the awesome domestic sours sprouting up everywhere!

Table and Vine used to stock Flemish Primitive all the time, however I have not seen it there in almost a year. As far as cheap sours, it is one of my favorites. Dan Shelton from the Shelton Bros is on his own now, his brother Will is brewing out of Paper City, and it seems like since they split up, their beers are harder to find. I did just pick up a bottle of Monk's Cafe flemish sour from there today, along with a bottle of de dolle stout- my beers to enjoy for the fights tonight! (probably some manhattans in between :scratch: :P )

#20 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

It was Drie Fonteinen.

Good thing I have a bottle in the basement patiently waiting for next year :scratch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users