1 reply to this topic

#1 phalanxausage

phalanxausage

Atomic Chef! and Full-Time Francophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

I've always been a caramel freak. I love it like a lot of women love chocolate. When I went to Normandy & Brittany last month I felt like I had gone to heaven. Salted butter caramel is a regional specialty. They put it on everything & they make it really, really, really well. The butter & cream produced in that region is incredible. Since returning I've been going through withdrawals and, since I can only get Smuckers around here, have had to make it myself. I'm pretty close reproducing what I had there but need to get some raw cream to make cultured butter with. If all you can get are store brand butter & ultra-pasturized cream you can still make some damn good caramel. I've taken to subbing sour cream for a portion of the heavy cream (1/3-1/2) to get a little background funkiness.A silicon spatula is necessary, and use a tall pot, as the caramel will foam up after the butter & cream additions.Pay attention. Be prepared to stand over the pot the entire time once you start seeing the sugar melt around the edges, as it will go from semi-granular to ready to burnt quicker than you expect. If the sugar burns, you're only out a few cents worth of sugar. Let it cool, dump it (it's water soluble) & try again.Finally, be careful. This shit's like lava & a drop on your skin will burn WAY more than hot grease. Wear long sleeves & don't touch it, no matter how tasty that spatula looks.1cup sugar4-6tb butter1/2c cream1/2-1tsp coarse saltWarm the cream in the microwave & dissolve half the salt in it. Set aside. Cut the butter into chunks & let come to room temperature. If you want to melt it, that works too. Put the sugar in a heavy, tall pot. I have thin ones, so I set them in a cast iron skillet. Let cook without stirring over medium to medium-high heat. When the sugar is melted around the edge gently stir from the outside in & bottom up. Reduce heat & gently stir occasionally so it all melts evenly. Let it cook until it's the color of an old penny. It will start smoking a little before that point. Remove from the heat & add the butter. Be careful, as it will foam up. Stir until butter is fully incorporated & caramel is smooth. You may need to heat it a little more. Add the cream & stir until fully incorporated. Let cool 10-15 minutes, then add the remaining salt. Pour into a jar. It will keep about a month in the fridge.

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111961 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

I've been making this recipe regularly and I have to call BS on the original here.This caramel sauce does NOT keep a month in the fridge. It lasts about 4 days, before the entire batch ends up completely and totally in your belly.Forget Frank's, I put this shit on everything. Pancakes and waffles, ice cream, fried chicken....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users