Photo
- - - - -

Anyone bought the ECC BCS-460 Controller?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:57 AM

I remember the ECC guy asking for some beta testers last year over on the other board, and now I see that it's available over the intertubes. Has anyone bought it? Used it? $187 is a pretty good price for what you get, hardware-wise. I don't know about the software though. It's seems pretty dumbed down, which can be good and bad.

#2 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

I remember the ECC guy asking for some beta testers last year over on the other board, and now I see that it's available over the intertubes. Has anyone bought it? Used it? $187 is a pretty good price for what you get, hardware-wise. I don't know about the software though. It's seems pretty dumbed down, which can be good and bad.

I have not personally used it, but I have a friend that has one. He has reported to me that it is an excellant product, and he really loves it, and how it has basically completely automated his process. It was his testimony and belief in the product that pushed me over the edge to start carrying it on my website.

#3 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

It is a great price given all the available inputs/outputs. The thing that I don't like about it is that you have to put it on a network to utilize the control interface. It helps keep the cost down, but I would like some sort of local interface or at least the option to have a local interface.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

I agree that it would be nice to have a local interface option (I didn't even know it wasn't an option). Is it really that hard to set it up on a network, though?

#5 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

I agree that it would be nice to have a local interface option (I didn't even know it wasn't an option). Is it really that hard to set it up on a network, though?

Setting it up on the network isn't the problem. It's using it once its on the network. I don't keep a computer next to me when I'm brewing, and using a device like this would necessitate that. Or, I would be running back and forth to the computer to change set points, or make adjustments.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Setting it up on the network isn't the problem. It's using it once its on the network. I don't keep a computer next to me when I'm brewing, and using a device like this would necessitate that. Or, I would be running back and forth to the computer to change set points, or make adjustments.

Oh, so you're worried about not having a PC in the area. I usually have my lap top with me when I'm brewing, in any case. I usually just have it out to use the calculators in ProMash and talk to the BB yahoos.Bottom line...get a lap top!Isn't the goal to brew the entire batch remotely? Dough in before work, come home, pitch yeast. :rolf:

#7 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Oh, so you're worried about not having a PC in the area. I usually have my lap top with me when I'm brewing, in any case. I usually just have it out to use the calculators in ProMash and talk to the BB yahoos.Bottom line...get a lap top!Isn't the goal to brew the entire batch remotely? Dough in before work, come home, pitch yeast. :rolf:

Ha! I need to build a brew stand before I can automate my process.

#8 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

I have one, but haven't put it to use yet. I sold my Brutus 10 setup and have slowly been amazing all of the parts I need for my new e-brewery. Technically I have everything except an exhaust fan and hood. But now I'm working on how I can convert it to UK electrical standards and still use it.The goal will be just a swap of cables to go from using it here to using it there. I should know more after my next trip in August, I've got an electrician friend over there that said for a few beers he will sort it for me!For those concerned with a local interface, you might want to go with the Brewtroller.

#9 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

For those concerned with a local interface, you might want to go with the Brewtroller.

that thing looks sweet. have you used it?

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

You moving to the UK, Harv?

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

The Brewtroller uses Dallas laser trimmed + 0.5°C temp sensors. No trimming required.This is what I was going to design. Might have to look a bit more carefully at the pre-built option instead of rolling my own.However, it appears the Brewtroller is a bit more limited on function configurability.

#12 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

The Brewtroller uses Dallas laser trimmed + 0.5°C temp sensors. No trimming required.This is what I was going to design. Might have to look a bit more carefully at the pre-built option instead of rolling my own.However, it appears the Brewtroller is a bit more limited on function configurability.

I'm not crazy about that interface either. I like the platform though, and there are a ton of inputs/outputs. There are instructions on how to build a homebrew version of the Sanguino Platform, which the Brewtroller uses as its hardware. I might look into this and write the controls logic myself and add a different HMI.

#13 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

that thing looks sweet. have you used it?

I have not used it. I really like the interface of the BCS and I think once you understand state machines it makes it so much easier to use and design/program. Their forums are a wealth of info as well.https://forum.embedd...olconcepts.com/

You moving to the UK, Harv?

That's the plan!

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

I like the web interface and user friendliness of the BCS system, but it's way short on inputs for what I want out of my control system. I haven't done the full layout, but when you include temperatures, volumes and flow rates, I probably want to log somewhere between 10 and 20 signals and have a similar number of discrete outputs for valve, heater, chiller control. On further inspection, I don't think the BCS can handle what I want to do. At least not out of the box.I may start trolling eBay for data acquisition interfaces that can handle what I want. I have an old copy of LabTech Control, which is a very robust data acquisition and process control software, it could be time to start getting things in order with it.

Edited by JKoravos, 11 July 2009 - 06:55 AM.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64137 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

That's the plan!

Ah, yes, now I remember.May was so long ago!When are you shipping out?

#16 Henning1966

Henning1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I have another option in the war of the automation check out this. https://www.brewdroid.com This uses digital temp sensors will be totally plug and play no adding relays. In its final version will have web browser interface and the ability to interlink units for expandability. Not sure on the actual release date yet

#17 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

I have another option in the war of the automation check out this. https://www.brewdroid.com This uses digital temp sensors will be totally plug and play no adding relays. In its final version will have web browser interface and the ability to interlink units for expandability. Not sure on the actual release date yet

I want to build one of these, just for fun. With the ability to ramp temperatures in different directions over time and have them saved as presets, so if I wanted to do a lager, I could select the lager preset with a 10 day fermentation at 48F, diacetyl rest for 2 days at 65F, and then crash down to 33F forever, and I want to integrate data logging and remote control for fun.

#18 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

I want to build one of these, just for fun. With the ability to ramp temperatures in different directions over time and have them saved as presets, so if I wanted to do a lager, I could select the lager preset with a 10 day fermentation at 48F, diacetyl rest for 2 days at 65F, and then crash down to 33F forever, and I want to integrate data logging and remote control for fun.

For the record that is something you can do with the BCS. Put your BCS on the network and you can be brewing while you are fermenting. All you need to do is run a network cable to your fridge and you would use something like what this guy has done.You just put a SSR inside a project box. Connet your temp probe & power, and add a network jack. Run that network cable from your BCS to the remote box and bam, you are done!Here some pics.https://www.brewersb...3/29/bcs-build/

#19 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

I like the web interface and user friendliness of the BCS system, but it's way short on inputs for what I want out of my control system. I haven't done the full layout, but when you include temperatures, volumes and flow rates, I probably want to log somewhere between 10 and 20 signals and have a similar number of discrete outputs for valve, heater, chiller control. On further inspection, I don't think the BCS can handle what I want to do. At least not out of the box.I may start trolling eBay for data acquisition interfaces that can handle what I want. I have an old copy of LabTech Control, which is a very robust data acquisition and process control software, it could be time to start getting things in order with it.

Yeah in that case you might want to check out what Kladue has been making!https://picasaweb.go...com/kevin.laduePosted Image

Edited by HarvInSTL, 12 July 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#20 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

For the record that is something you can do with the BCS. Put your BCS on the network and you can be brewing while you are fermenting. All you need to do is run a network cable to your fridge and you would use something like what this guy has done.You just put a SSR inside a project box. Connet your temp probe & power, and add a network jack. Run that network cable from your BCS to the remote box and bam, you are done!Here some pics.https://www.brewersb...3/29/bcs-build/

That's an awesome build. I like the Stereo plugs for the temperature probes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users