#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

This will be their first mead ... Sent this via text:3 lbs honey per gallon of water. Do the no heat paint stirrer method I've shown you in the past. A good yeast would be k1v-1116 - use 3-4 packets and rehydrate in water per the instructions on the packet. Nutrients will be needed. Simplest nutrient addition- 1 tsp dap and fermaid k at pitch - 24 hrs after active fermentation starts (airlock activity) add 1/2 tsp dap and fermaid k - 72 hrs after pitching the yeast add 1/3 tsp dap and fermaid k. Let it sit in the primary for 6 wks then transfer to secondary - oak no oak is a different question. This will need a lot of time to age and will be hot when young since it will have a whole lot of alcohol - you're basically pushing the yeast till the alcohol kills it...simple enough?They're pretty rural and just make super sweet wines with minimal equipment...and typically do 5 gallon batches...did I lead them wrong?

Edited by EWW, 24 May 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Assuming this is a 5 gal. batch:I would not see that ending up as a "very sweet mead" w/ 15lbs honey, I would be looking at closer to 18-20 pounds. Either of the yeasts mentioned are champagne yeasts with the advertised ability to ferment out to 16-18% abv, substantially higher than what 15 pounds gets you (you can run the numbers through the spreadsheet calculator over on the FAQs). One option would be to let it ferment until it tastes the way they want it and add sorbates, but I wouldn't go that route personally. A lot easier to let the mead ferment out then backsweeten to taste.I may be a minimalist but I usually figure 1.5 grams dry yeast per gallon rehydrated in Go-Ferm. If the packages alluded to above are 5 grams per, that is substantially more yeast than necessary.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

you can try s-33 for sweet meads it has a low alcohol tolerance and is very similar to Irish Ale Yeast in my experience

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

you can try s-33 for sweet meads it has a low alcohol tolerance and is very similar to Irish Ale Yeast in my experience

If s-33 is the the same as Wyeast's sweet mead yeast, it is Irish Ale Yeast.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

If s-33 is the the same as Wyeast's sweet mead yeast, it is Irish Ale Yeast.

I don't know if it's exactly the same but I use it in Stouts and like the results, and it is the old EDME strain, which at one point was popular for sweet meads, though it is likely outdated info

#6 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Assuming this is a 5 gal. batch:I would not see that ending up as a "very sweet mead" w/ 15lbs honey, I would be looking at closer to 18-20 pounds. Either of the yeasts mentioned are champagne yeasts with the advertised ability to ferment out to 16-18% abv, substantially higher than what 15 pounds gets you (you can run the numbers through the spreadsheet calculator over on the FAQs). One option would be to let it ferment until it tastes the way they want it and add sorbates, but I wouldn't go that route personally. A lot easier to let the mead ferment out then backsweeten to taste.

That makes for a sneak attack mead. I foresee an epic hangover in his future. :P

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

That makes for a sneak attack mead. I foresee an epic hangover in his future. :P

I drank the whole bottle of FB '07 that I opened to sample the other night, on a tuesday :goodidea:

#8 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I drank the whole bottle of FB '07 that I opened to sample the other night, on a tuesday :goodidea:

How did that work out for ya? :P

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

How did that work out for ya? :P

Ibuprofen is a wonder of the modern world

#10 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*