Photo
- - - - -

A good place to start with belgian yeast?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

For brewers that are not as familiar with Belgian styles, be very attentive to your temps. This is really what makes a great Belgian style ale. Just like lager yeast at the other end of the spectrum, once cannot overstate the importance. With American and British yeast I feel like you have a bit more leeway. Mess with a Belgian strain and it will rebel and not do as you ask of it. Also, play with a strain for a while and get a feel for it. You may like it at one temp vs. another. Mosher says "Belgians are Easy" but there is most certainly a caveat. Word up to the French Saison Strain being kick ass. I also dig the Unibroue strain. 3787 is nice but keep those temps up there. I like it in the upper 70s. These beers are simple as hell to brew from a recipe perspective, but the true art is in the fermentation.

#22 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Aha! Your are right sir, where did I see a yeast chart recently that had the two side by side :rolf: I knew it seemed odd, checked BLAM and there it is. Got down to 1.002?! Sounds like a beast indeed.

Here is where my brainfart occurred. Did not read the huge bold font at the top of the page for a more accurate cross reference. I are more shameded :)

#23 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25388 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

The De Dolle yeast (forget the number) is also quite good. If I remember right it has some very tasty pineapple esters in it.

I think this is the same as the Orval primary strain (WLP510). I agree that any of them is a great yeast to start experimenting with, fermentation temps etc.

#24 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11707 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

What's a good yeast to start out with? (WY1214?? - wyeast is the easiest to get for me)I was thinking of trying to make a Belgian version of an APA or something along these lines. I'm not too concerned with matching some style or beer exactly but I'd like to avoid adding spices or anything like that in secondary. I have most of the common base grains and specialty grains. My hops selection might be a little limited for this; I've got EKG, cascade, williamette, hallertau, magnum, glacier (only 2oz).Thoughts? :rolf:

If you are going to do your first Belgian, I'd try a traditional style. May I suggest a saison? While not traditional, I think the hallertau would work just fine. Make it hoppy, mash really low (pilsener with a touch of munich and wheat), ferment with 3724 (dupont) in the low 80s and you will be in heaven in a month (will likely need 3 weeks in primary; it's a slow yeast). Good luck!

#25 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

I think this is the same as the Orval primary strain (WLP510). I agree that any of them is a great yeast to start experimenting with, fermentation temps etc.

I thought the De Dolle one was 3942. I've been meaning to give that a try and good to see you think it's a good one, Mtn.Another agreement that any will work fine. Just have a read through the descriptions and pick one that appeals to you. Or drink a few of the beers from the breweries they are supposed to and see which of those you like the best. Research can be tough sometimes. :rolf:

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

If you are going to do your first Belgian, I'd try a traditional style. May I suggest a saison? While not traditional, I think the hallertau would work just fine. Make it hoppy, mash really low (pilsener with a touch of munich and wheat), ferment with 3724 (dupont) in the low 80s and you will be in heaven in a month (will likely need 3 weeks in primary; it's a slow yeast). Good luck!

I've tried a Saison made by a local brewer - not bad but I'm not sure I'd want 5 gallons of it kicking around. My fav (commercial) Belgian beer so far is Rare Vos.

#27 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

I thought the De Dolle one was 3942. I've been meaning to give that a try and good to see you think it's a good one, Mtn.

I just checked my notes and you're correct: 3942 is De Dolle.

#28 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25388 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hmm, I could have sworn I got the idea that 510 was used by De Dolle from Kirsten England but you are right his chart says 3942. I didn't even know de dolle made a wheat beer, actually. Could they have more than one "house" yeast?

#29 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hmm, I could have sworn I got the idea that 510 was used by De Dolle from Kirsten England but you are right his chart says 3942. I didn't even know de dolle made a wheat beer, actually. Could they have more than one "house" yeast?

I don't and won't claim to know anything about De Dolle specifically but I don't see a reason why a brewery Belgian or not could not have more than one House yeast. Even they just brewed Belgian origin beers I am sure they could use two Belgian strains and get differenct consistant profile and flavors too. Just a thought. $0.02

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

I didn't even know de dolle made a wheat beer, actually.

They don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users