#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

I'm down with a separate section from the PH for all things food.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

If it's something you guys really want, then start preparing some serious justification for it.At first blush, I don't see the need. You can always do a search in the PH with the string "recipe and lasagna". But if there's a real need that I don't see, let's hear it. As I said in the address, if you can make a case for it we'll add it but you have to provide some reasoning.

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

If it's something you guys really want, then start preparing some serious justification for it.At first blush, I don't see the need. You can always do a search in the PH with the string "recipe and lasagna". But if there's a real need that I don't see, let's hear it. As I said in the address, if you can make a case for it we'll add it but you have to provide some reasoning.

Because I need to make Pizza dough for tomorrow????

#5 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

I would say it's for the same reason we break out the Beer recipes. Otherwise you could use the same string to find "recipe and pale ale". I think if you made the rules tight where it's just recipes and not, "the what's for dinner" threads it would mirror the aforementioned Beer recipe thread.

#6 Connie

Connie

Comptroller of Birthday Princesses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawai'i

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:33 AM

I would say it's for the same reason we break out the Beer recipes. Otherwise you could use the same string to find "recipe and pale ale". I think if you made the rules tight where it's just recipes and not, "the what's for dinner" threads it would mirror the aforementioned Beer recipe thread.

I was going to say 'because this is more organized.' But +1 I think your arguement shows more thought than mine. :)

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

Ok, but I'm not completely sold on a beer recipe forum either.

#8 chauvan

chauvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

Ok, but I'm not completely sold on a beer recipe forum either.

but yet there it is... and i think most ppl have enjoyed its presence for years on that other place. much like a lot of ppl have asked for a food type forum for years. not asking for a foodie forum.. just a repository for food recipes. I, personally, have never seen the reason for the wall that's been throw up over something like this.

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

One thing I'll mention is the existance of a forum will cause people to post in it. I probably wouldn't have written the Gingerman and Blind Tiger reviews had I not noticed the Reviews / Bars & Brewpubs forum. Someone else posted a review in there and now I've got a bunch of reviews I want to write.

#10 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

One thing I'll mention is the existance of a forum will cause people to post in it. I probably wouldn't have written the Gingerman and Blind Tiger reviews had I not noticed the Reviews / Bars & Brewpubs forum. Someone else posted a review in there and now I've got a bunch of reviews I want to write.

I think it's a bit of the other way around, in the grand scheme of things. Having yet another sub-forum for people to check means that many people just skip that content completely.

#11 chauvan

chauvan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

I think it's a bit of the other way around, in the grand scheme of things. Having yet another sub-forum for people to check means that many people just skip that content completely.

And when its stuck several hundreds of pages back years from now, it will be data lost. Or more obnoxious, data repeated over and over. If you can justify the beer recipes, then why not the food?

#12 Connie

Connie

Comptroller of Birthday Princesses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawai'i

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I think that's a good thing. I mean if you're looking for Julie's recipe for enchiladas...it's nice to have it set up in a forum instead of going to page 1 of the PH and finding 20 recipe threads on page 1 while you're looking for the cigar thread. Besides, do you guys not have any dust catchers in your home? It gives a good feeling as well as being functional. How much trouble is it exactly? Does it clutter the Modding in a way I'm not aware of? I'm not being sarcastic, I am truely curious.

#13 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

That's true too. I almost never read WM&C. I think they can both be true at the same time since I was personally affected in both ways. But doesn't that ability generally make it more efficient/valuable for users? I really just don't like the taste of wine, I can drink a cider once or twice a year because they are usually highly carbonated. But if that stuff was cluttering my Beer forum it would just make me have to work harder and thus make the forum less enjoyable. It's just a matter of balance though, NB & B3 forums are waaaay to broken up for my tastes.

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

And when its stuck several hundreds of pages back years from now, it will be data lost. Or more obnoxious, data repeated over and over. If you can justify the beer recipes, then why not the food?

I agree, point taken. However, I'm not sure that a sub-forum is the right solution for either beer recipes or other recipes. We are exploring some other options, a wiki for example, that could be used for beer recipes, cooking recipes, general brewing information, and perhaps other stuff as well. We hear you that there is a need, we just want to make sure we find the right way to fill it. A sub-forum has the virtue of simplicity, a wiki has the virtue of flexibility and organization. However, with a wiki, we're asking Mr York to devote a bunch of time and effort to set it up, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.

How much trouble is it exactly? Does it clutter the Modding in a way I'm not aware of? I'm not being sarcastic, I am truely curious.

It's not trouble so much as our bias that an uncluttered forum is better than a cluttered forum. With a sub-forum, I'm concerned that a lot of the cooking chatter would be siphoned off into a place that a lot of people will never go. That would be a shame, in my opinion.

#15 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

It's not trouble so much as our bias that an uncluttered forum is better than a cluttered forum. With a sub-forum, I'm concerned that a lot of the cooking chatter would be siphoned off into a place that a lot of people will never go. That would be a shame, in my opinion.

This is a top concern of mine too.

#16 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

I agree, point taken. However, I'm not sure that a sub-forum is the right solution for either beer recipes or other recipes. We are exploring some other options, a wiki for example, that could be used for beer recipes, cooking recipes, general brewing information, and perhaps other stuff as well. We hear you that there is a need, we just want to make sure we find the right way to fill it. A sub-forum has the virtue of simplicity, a wiki has the virtue of flexibility and organization. However, with a wiki, we're asking Mr York to devote a bunch of time and effort to set it up, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.It's not trouble so much as our bias that an uncluttered forum is better than a cluttered forum. With a sub-forum, I'm concerned that a lot of the cooking chatter would be siphoned off into a place that a lot of people will never go. That would be a shame, in my opinion.

I think a wiki will be great for established recipes. However, with a wiki there is no way to comment on a recipe. It puts the recipe out there to be used, but allows for no discussion on ways to modify it, possible substitutions, other people's successes or failures with the recipe. It isn't a living document, like the forums allow for. Also, if the concern is that the discussion is going to go to another place in the same forum, and therefore will receive less attention, are people are going to click on the wiki page to find the information?I don't care whether or not the food recipes are separate in the PH, but I do like the discussion on the recipes in the beer recipe forum.-Dubs

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

My opinion on the matter is that I really like the sub-forum idea rather than a search. I don't know what I do wrong, but a lot of the time when I am searching for something that I know is out there, it doesn't find it. Plus, I don't like having to scroll through 3 pages of search results that are threads that for some reason matched the criteria.But all that might be my own issues with searching. I'd still prefer to have a separate sub-forum so I didn't have to search the entire PH database.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users