28 replies to this topic

#1 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I need to replace some lines, such as keg to tap, and want to know the best place to purchase food/beverage grade PVC tubing? I have the line dimensions at home (OD/ID) and just do not know the best place to buy some. does Home Depot or Loews sell food grade tubing?

#2 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Murph, for my learning, what lengths are you looking to purchase. I know that the ID on the gas line should be 5/16 and the beer line should be 3/16, but does the length matter in either. I'm asking cause I want to solve my foam problem.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

I get mine @ a local place called House of Hose, I don't believe HD or Lowe's has it

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Murph, for my learning, what lengths are you looking to purchase. I know that the ID on the gas line should be 5/16 and the beer line should be 3/16, but does the length matter in either. I'm asking cause I want to solve my foam problem.

on liquid line the length absolutely matters as the longer it is the more resistance is created, lowering the pressure in the line, thus reducing CO2 nucleation, thus reducing foaming

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

5ft seems to work well using 3/16 beer line.Gas line doesnt matter.

Edited by BlKtRe, 14 May 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

to be honest I'm not sure what the lengths are off the top of my head but I still have the old lines so I was just going to cut the new lines the exact length of the ones I'm replacing, and I'm only replacing beer lines.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

If you don't have an LHBS with it then order it online. 3/16" works great.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Foxx Superflex is good stuff if you can get it

#9 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

If you don't have an LHBS with it then order it online. 3/16" works great.

it's starting to look like on-line is where I'm going to have to go.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Foxx Superflex is good stuff if you can get it

I use Foxx Bevflex and am thrilled with it too.

#11 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I am looking at the same project.....has anybody here used Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra???https://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375_86_87&products_id=3020From what I have read it is a bit stiffer and tougher to work with, BUT it's alleged resistance to odor and flavor permeation would seem like a plus if it was true.Any experience with it???

#12 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I haven't used it, but I've read up a lot on it. It is a superior tubing, but it is different to use. It has a lower pressure drop, so you need to use significantly more tubing, and it is also stiffer so you can't bend it as much, and it is more difficult to put on barbs.The barrier tubing is a superior tubing for beverage dispensing, even compared to beverage grade pvc line.You should be able to find a better price for that, and I'd recommend just buying 100 ft of it at a time. There is a lot more information on the line at homebrewtalk. A guy was sensitive to the plastic taint of the lines, and went through many different types of line, and settled on the accuflex bev-seal ultra barrier tubing (at the time only 1/4 ID was available, so he had to use a LOT of it per line, but they are now manufacturing 3/16" ID line which is good for us!)

#13 Mindblock

Mindblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, Gnef.....I will look around, but have you found anything about the relative pressure drop / necessary tubing length per line to equilibrate lines.?????Also' as price is king these days.....do you have less expensive sources handy should somebody elect to use the tubing???THANKS

#14 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, Gnef.....I will look around, but have you found anything about the relative pressure drop / necessary tubing length per line to equilibrate lines.?????Also' as price is king these days.....do you have less expensive sources handy should somebody elect to use the tubing???THANKS

Check out the links gnef posted in my thread about pinpointing an off-flavor. I learned a bunch there.I ordering a 50' roll from Farmhouse Brewing Supply for $15.99. Plan on trying it out this weekend.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Check out the links gnef posted in my thread about pinpointing an off-flavor. I learned a bunch there.I ordering a 50' roll from Farmhouse Brewing Supply for $15.99. Plan on trying it out this weekend.

how's that with shipping?

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

They have a flat rate of 7.99.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

They have a flat rate of 7.99.

48 cents a foothmm

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

48 cents a foothmm

I'm sure you've done your research on the stuff, but like gnef has said you'll need more than what you use now. From my understanding and limited research I have done 10ft of reg. bevline= 18ft. of this bev-flex, approximently.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'm sure you've done your research on the stuff, but like gnef has said you'll need more than what you use now. From my understanding and limited research I have done 10ft of reg. bevline= 18ft. of this bev-flex, approximently.

pass, that's just too much extra line in my space

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

pass, that's just too much extra line in my space

Well it is also a smaller OD as well so may not be as bad. I plan on running the extra length coiled up against the walls of my freezer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users