#1 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Not wanting to horn in on the Guest Sake thread, thought I'd start another about my first sake experience. After reading a good bit online, and finding that I had just about everything needed to do sake up right (5-gal all grain beer brewing equipment) I decided to take the plunge. I tried to follow as closely as I could the "Taylor Made" Sake instructions and, for a first run, I believe I'm inspired to do more.*tl;dr = sake good, will do it again*Random observations (to which I'll add posts as thoughts surface in my muddled head...)- Really great and detailed instructions. I would definitely recommend Taylor's method to make sake. Plus it looks like he makes himself available in a number of forums and via email to answer questions.- Patience is a virtue. I started in February and just bottled about a week ago. I read on another site sake takes about 3 months to finish, then there's a "mellowing" period (I believe Taylor recommends 2 months). Having said that, I had some tastes as I was bottling and was really pleased with the results. Even with a 19% ABV (guestimate - the way you brew, there is no OG), the alcohol wasn't overpowering...more a zing on the back-end with the fruit notes on the front. Definitely green apple in there but not in a big way.- Used Wyeast #9 (would definitely use again) and short grain sushi rice. The Koji-kin was a PITA to get. I wanted to get what Taylor recommended - rice with the aspergillus oryzae spores on it / not just the spores which require pre-processing before introduction into the sake slurry. #$%#@...now I can't find where I found it! Will post when I do.- Didn't get 3 gallons as recipe states. OK, this is on me as my filtration & racking was less than spectacular. I believe I ended up with closer to 2-1/2 gal. Definitely need to work on my method to get volume. Plus, what was supposed to be "brilliant" still had a haze.- I subdivided into 6 different iterations. I put into 3 one gal jugs in my initial racking/removal of the lees, one of which I chopped up 2 golden delicious apples into one of the jugs. From these I bottled:1. nigorizake: sake with sediment - intended to be drunk with the sediment swirled in.2. muroka: unfiltered sake3. sake: used bentonite to clarify...hunched it a bit (not totally clear)4. "sparkling" sake: no idea if it'll work, but trying to bottle carb.5. apple sake6. "sparkling apple sake- As Taylor notes, color is more yellow than clear (the apple infused came out light red). Additional filtration would change that but one runs the risk of filtering flavor as well.OK, blathered loooong enough for now.

#2 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

So many things I want to try and now you've gone and added another to the list.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

So many things I want to try and now you've gone and added another to the list.

yes, this :crazy:

#4 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Went on a fishing trip this weekend, and took some sake samples along to try. Bottom line - needs more time. It's recommended to let it mellow for a couple months and it's only been a couple weeks, but the opportunity to get some feedback presented itself. Tried the sake, apple sake and nigorizake. All still quite drinkable, but the punch of alcohol overpowered the other characteristics.- The nigorizake was the best of the three, with the sediment helping increase body and soften the alcohol a bit.- Apple sake was second; golden delicious added sweetness against the alcohol's heat.- Then the sake; great color, aroma, but a heavy alcohol punch.Gonna set aside for the next 6-7 weeks before trying again.....

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

did you remeber where you sourced the koji-kin?

Edited by miccullen, 20 May 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#6 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

did you remeber where you sourced the koji-kin?

Finally! It was Steinbart (just search"koji" and it should come right up). Are you going to give it a go?

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Finally! It was Steinbart (just search"koji" and it should come right up). Are you going to give it a go?

just thinking way too much but I might give it a try with a wine yeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users