6 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Kerin

Eric Kerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeminole, FL

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

I decided to brew a batch of maple wine. It's currently fermenting, and I see a strange thing I have not seen before, there are two layers, a light layer, and a dark layer, with the yeast settled in the middle. Now the OG was 1.152, quite high for my brewing experience. I've never brewed anything that strong before, and it's probably not going to turn out how I want it to anyway, but worst case I blend it with some mead, and it's good either way.But, is this something anyone has seen before? Is it just because of how thick the must(?) is, and above that point we have alcohol diluting it? Should I dilute it with water now to prevent an incomplete fermentation? (I started this batch yesterday) Anyone with some experience here they'd like to share?Posted Image

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Sounds like it is stratifying. That can definitely lead to a messed up fermentation.Vigorously swirl the carboy to get everything mixed up again.

#3 Eric Kerin

Eric Kerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeminole, FL

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

I take it this was caused by me saying "Eh, I can just sprinkle the dry yeast on the top of it, it will be fine!" Carboy vigorously swirled. Thanks for the help! Next time, I'll hydrate my yeast before pitching...

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

I take it this was caused by me saying "Eh, I can just sprinkle the dry yeast on the top of it, it will be fine!"

Did you stir the yeast in after sprinkling it on top? I've dumped the yeast on top like that quite a few times, and I've never had that problem.Sometimes stuff just happens...

#5 Eric Kerin

Eric Kerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSeminole, FL

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Did you stir the yeast in after sprinkling it on top?

I swirled it around a bit after sprinkling, which only got it down about an inch or two from the top, I figured it would settle to the bottom quickly enough. But, as I said, I've never tried this high of a starting gravity before.

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

I swirled it around a bit after sprinkling, which only got it down about an inch or two from the top, I figured it would settle to the bottom quickly enough. But, as I said, I've never tried this high of a starting gravity before.

That may be the problem then. Pitching directly on top isn't recommended as it does have a higher failure rate than rehydration, but in my experience the failure rate still isn't that high. But you've definitely got to stir it in.Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't get going pretty quickly, pitch a bunch more yeast. :(

#7 ljstaub

ljstaub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDayton, Ohio

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

How did the maple wine turn out? Same thing happened to me but the next day it was gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users