#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

I never really saw the website until recently, seems interesting. I downloaded some "podcasts" from the site to listen in the car. Anyone listen to the shows?On a sidenote, I freaking hate the term 'podcasts'. It's a damn mp3 broadcast. Why do people feel the need to fellate apple by trying to integrate 'iPod' into every damn thing?

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Haha, I hear you on "pod"casts. I was just listening to one with a West Coast IPA recipe in it. I sometimes feel like I'm devolving when I listen to podcasts. It's like radio, commercials and all. I find them best for interviews, like Charlie Talley from Five Star and the like. Otherwise, I'm not really into talk shows.

Edited by chuck_d, 07 July 2009 - 07:21 PM.

#3 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

I got into the mp3casts last year. Lots of good information. And I agree...I dont own and Ipod, so why must everything brainwash me into thinking i need to own and ipod. soon enough it will be called a phonecast anyway.

#4 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

I used to listen to the old Jamil Show about styles, but haven't heard the new one yet since I don't really care for cloning beers. But the style show was top notch. Lots of great info.Brew Strong is pretty cool as well, especially the ones with Charlie Bamforth.Oh, and I agree with the "podcasts" thing. Retarded name. They're just mp3 archives.

#5 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

The BN is pretty much all I listen to in the car anymore. I have listened to all the Jamil Shows about 4 times. I'm working on the Sunday Session. Sometimes there is really good info and cool guests, but it is just really good entertainment that revolves around beer. Any questions let me know.

#6 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

I really like Brew Strong and the Jamil Show. Lots of good information in both of those programs.

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

Those programs have great information. It's pretty much how I learned everything. For the Jamil show, the first episodes are reall serious, but near the end they reall start getting sidetracked. Fine to me, It's still really entertaining to listen to. I still use those as a referance when I want to try a style I haven't made yet.

#8 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

I listen to the one of the Brewing Network's shows almost everday... and often re-listen to shows, many times over, while walking the dogs in the evenings... keeps my mind occupied while waiting for issues of BYO and Zymurgy to arrive in the mail... Of course james, johnny, and grahmn keep me company as well...

#9 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

Another fan here. I really only listen to the Style shows and now Brew Strong. Good to listen to on the commute to work. I recently painted the house and it was great to have a few shows to catch up with while doing that. I even listened to a few of the Sunday Shows which I rarely listen to as they're just too long with the banter to real info ration pretty low. There are a few gems in Brew Strong - as Slainte said, the Charlie Bamforth interview was great.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

I never really saw the website until recently, seems interesting. I downloaded some "podcasts" from the site to listen in the car. Anyone listen to the shows?On a sidenote, I freaking hate the term 'podcasts'. It's a damn mp3 broadcast. Why do people feel the need to fellate apple by trying to integrate 'iPod' into every damn thing?

For a while I wondered what differentiated podcasts from a simple audio download - I guess I'm not much for jumping on new trends...

#11 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

Big fan of the shows here. Took the family on an overnight train ride to Florida from Virginia last fall and listened to archives from the Session the whole way there and back- made the time fly by.

#12 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25388 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

I thought the water episodes of brew strong were good, especially the last one.

#13 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

I used to listen when I had a 3.5 hour daily commute too and from the university. Now that I can walk to the brewery in 30 seconds, I really don't have a need for mind-numbing podcasts -- entertaining, but unless I'm sitting on the train, I really don't want to waste my time.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18079 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:59 AM

I have them all on my MP3 player. I like the Session for work seeing it is just banter most of the time. I like the other shows for when I am driving or working around the house. There is some good information in the shows, but there it is also only one persons opinion on how a style should be brewed or the recipe for that style. I have taken away some good ideas but nothing earth shattering. Still worth a download of the MP3 archive ...

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

I really do like the style shows and Brew Strong and the Sunday sessions are educational as well. It really helps me when I am home and watching the kids too. I used to listen to a Jamil show about a certain style before I would brew a beer to get some tips and its worked nicely.

#16 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

I've taken to listening to some of the BN shows but I hand pick the ones I listen to based on the guest(s). The one with the guys from Lagunitas had some good technical info in it between the banter and the one with the recording of Vinnie Cilurzo's talk at NHC from a couple years ago was also chalk full of tips and good info.Some are more asshatery than info so take it with a grain of salt but they are usually pretty entertaining.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

They're "pod"casts because of the iPod. But you're right. They're just MP3 archives.Been listening to Graham Sanders for many years, before the whole iPod thing.Burned them to CDROM and played them in my van. I have a 30 minute commute. So there's an hour I'd be wasting anyway.TBN listener since podcast #1. Now if those lazy ba*&%#ds could help me sort out my log on I'd support them. But they can't be bothered, so why should I. <_<And also Basic Brewing with James Spencer. Good stuff.And my F1 podcasts and B5 podcasts......And MICHAEL SAVAGE!Yea, I listen a lot.

#18 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

When you subscribe to a 'podcast' iTunes will automatically check and download any new content added to the site. This keeps you from having to manually check and download new shows. Just another marketing gimmick from Apple to sell more iPods.

#19 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

This keeps you from having to manually check and download new shows. Just another marketing gimmick from Apple to sell more iPods.

Its not really a gimmick if it is a useful feature.

#20 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

Its not really a gimmick if it is a useful feature.

No doubt it can be a very handy feature. I would guess that the avg person doesn't realize that you don't need need an iPod to access these mp3's. So maybe not a gimmick but certainly a marketing ploy to move those iPods.In regards to the OP...I'll haven't listened to them enough to comment on them but I will check out some of the style shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users