#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Time to mix up another batch of mead. I am pretty pumped about this one.I have 27 lbs of orange blossom which will be the base for the mead. After primary I am going to add 2 96 oz cans of Vintner's Harvest Blackberries in a paint strainer bag and let that bubble away for another week or 2 or whatever it takes. After that, I will age it for a couple of months in a 10 gal boubon barrel, until I like where it is at, at which point, it will go to the demi john for a few months before the bottle. I have couple of packs of Pasteur Red that should fit the bill quite nicely.I am going to hit up the LHBS today for some nutes, cause I am fresh out.What do you guys think of my latest scheme?

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Initial reaction is that it's a bit short on honey for pasteur, which IIRC is a champagne yeast. Should burn through that honey and leave a dry mead, to which you plan to add tart berries - assuming the canned versions are true to style. I'd want 15-16 pounds of honey per five gallons minimum with a champagne yeast.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Good thought. I have another 5 pound container of orange blossom I could throw in there. I have another 12 pounder too that would maybe even be better than 5 so it finishes with a touch of sweetness. What do you think? 5 or 12? Or I could pull out a 3 pound container from the original recipe (2 12 lb containers and 1 3 lb) and throw in third 12 lb to get 36 lbs total.

#4 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'd start with the five-pounder, that puts you at roughly 16 pounds per 5 gallons. You can always add smaller increments after that until you get the desired sweetness profile then add fruit.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I thought Pasteur Red was a moderate attenuatator, it's alcohol tolerance is listed @16%I am most likely out of my depth though

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I thought Pasteur Red was a moderate attenuatator

Attenuation pretty much goes out the window with wines and meads. The must is 100% fermentable so it comes down to an issue of alcohol tolerance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users