#21 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Very well done gentlemen. And very well said Mtn.I have no problem with ads. And I like the chat option.and I REALLY like that I can have this board up at work and not worry about what avs are visible.Thank you all.*removes lips from mods asses*

#22 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Google ads or otherwise: i don't mind them but i would rather donate, and would probably ad block them in mozillatshirts - yea i'd be down for one or two. blogs - good idea in theory but how would you distinguis yourselves and the content there of from here?this is gonna sound uber litigious..but have you given thought to making this a 501-c3 in the state of origin and then file as a 501 c3 with the irs. you are taking donations and yes, tho minimal, could be deemed income. just saying. getting a 501c3 from state of origin is pretty simple. step two is to do the same with the irs. while you might be recognized as a 501 c3 by the state, until you are recognized as such by the irs, all proceeds could be viewed as income. again just something to consider. who knows this place might blow up.

#23 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Perhaps look past the forum. Go supernova with a full out community/club. Forum will just be the hub. Collaborative gadgets, experiments, tech papers, recipes, podcasts, etc, etc. You've got plenty of people to help. I've already offered.

I'd really like to see things move in that direction, and I think we'll get to pursuing it once we settle in a bit more.

Standing O for Marc. :(

I also wanted to reiterate this, and personally thank Marc for all of the behind-the-scenes help he's been. You rock, dude. :D

#24 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

this is gonna sound uber litigious..but have you given thought to making this a 501-c3 in the state of origin and then file as a 501 c3 with the irs. you are taking donations and yes, tho minimal, could be deemed income. just saying. getting a 501c3 from state of origin is pretty simple. step two is to do the same with the irs. while you might be recognized as a 501 c3 by the state, until you are recognized as such by the irs, all proceeds could be viewed as income. again just something to consider. who knows this place might blow up.

I know people that have tried to do that, and the legal minefield is hardly worth it unless you're getting a job out of the deal. If the income becomes an issue, I'll suck it into my business for tax purposes and call it a break-even advertising venture.

#25 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

I know people that have tried to do that, and the legal minefield is hardly worth it unless you're getting a job out of the deal. If the income becomes an issue, I'll suck it into my business for tax purposes and call it a break-even advertising venture.

that's kewl..just throwing it out there. we did the 501c3 thing on both accounts for our club since we take dues etc. it was pretty painless.

#26 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'd really like to see things move in that direction, and I think we'll get to pursuing it once we settle in a bit more.I also wanted to reiterate this, and personally thank Marc for all of the behind-the-scenes help he's been. You rock, dude. :(

No need. You're very welcome. I just wish I had more to offer. You're all a great bunch of guys.

#27 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

As a patron I have no problems looking at ads, I think we all learn to not pay attention to them in time and I want to see this work for everyone. However, I think the way they work is that if you click the ad the board gets $0.0X, and if you all did go this route we might actually be able to use these to support the board by clicking them every now and again. This would allow us to use the patron support as a buffer if it does in fact work like that. Plus a raffle every now and again sounds great ,because well who doesn't like the chance of winning free stuff.

Yeah, I'll definitely click on ads if it generated revenue; just be sure to let us know that it does. As for winning free stuff, the last thing I won from a board got me a week's stay at the hospital and 6 broken ribs, not to mention the 3 more weeks of bedrest that followed. Got anything like that? :(

#28 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

For the reviews... I guess we'll see how it turns out, but I think a poll is better than the rating system. I like being able to see that a particular item got nine 10's and three 1's. The ratings would just show the average and how many votes. Maybe keep the polls, but go 1 through 5 instead of 1 through 10. Or just go with the ratings... doesnt really matter that much.On the ads... bring em on, as long as they aren't the kind of forum ads that underline certain words then when you mouse over it'll have a little pop up about that word. Words can't describe how much I hate those ads! 2nd on my list of most hated online ads are the kind that create popup windows when you randomly click areas (not links or banners) on the page. I click around and highlight a lot when I read so I always trigger those damn things! :(

#29 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

For the reviews... I guess we'll see how it turns out, but I think a poll is better than the rating system. I like being able to see that a particular item got nine 10's and three 1's. The ratings would just show the average and how many votes. Maybe keep the polls, but go 1 through 5 instead of 1 through 10. Or just go with the ratings... doesnt really matter that much.

That's a good point on losing that information by switching away from polls.

#30 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

On the ads... bring em on, as long as they aren't the kind of forum ads that underline certain words then when you mouse over it'll have a little pop up about that word. Words can't describe how much I hate those ads! 2nd on my list of most hated online ads are the kind that create popup windows when you randomly click areas (not links or banners) on the page. I click around and highlight a lot when I read so I always trigger those damn things! :D

Agreed. Those ads suck. :(

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

For the reviews... I guess we'll see how it turns out, but I think a poll is better than the rating system. I like being able to see that a particular item got nine 10's and three 1's. The ratings would just show the average and how many votes. Maybe keep the polls, but go 1 through 5 instead of 1 through 10. Or just go with the ratings... doesnt really matter that much.

Yeah, this occurred to me too. There's a big difference between something that got a 3-star rating with 3 5's and 3 1's and one that got 6 3's. Let's see how it goes for a while. We're not averse to making a change if it's not working out.

#32 Connie

Connie

Comptroller of Birthday Princesses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawai'i

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'm so pleased at how this comunity has pulled together. I can remember people saying that it's the internet and not real or it's JUST an internet fourm. I don't live and breathe this place. But the fact is that I spend a good chunk of my life here now. I am very happy that it's so pleasent. :(As for things thatI would like to see...I would like if we could maybe organize a few group brews. Hightest did those back in the day. He even posted them on the calender. It has a very nice 'community' feel about it.The only thing else I have to add is that FNDC will continue over at the Lifeboat. I tred to put it back because I wanted an alternative to drinking and driving. If you wanted to be social and didn't want to wear pants, FNDC was always there on any Friday night. And you were less likely to end up with a DUI the next morning. It's really cool to be talking to 10-12 different people and everyone has a different beverage (Humdum is usually into scotch by the time he logs on.)Anyway, just wanted to say a big Thank you to everyone. :DEdit to add: OH! Skins...I remember the Brew Board had a white skin with a green boarder. (similar to this blue) What is up with that? I mean for some reason I got the feeling it was because some people have the board up at work...but why does a dark skin vs a light skin matter? (yeah, no jokes please.)

#33 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

It all has to do with size Connie (sorry, when I see the slow one coming over the middle of the plate, I have to swing!!!) :( :D I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I was really sad to see the GB go bye bye. We has something similar happen at another board I have been a member of for years. We got lucky and had a GOOD big boss who took care of the problems without pissing off the entire population. When I saw the notice about this board, and started seeing everyone flocking over here, I was really happy!!Thanks again for your time and effort to keep this great group together in a place we WANT to come to!!!

#34 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

As for things thatI would like to see...I would like if we could maybe organize a few group brews. Hightest did those back in the day. He even posted them on the calender. It has a very nice 'community' feel about it.

Already underway Constance dear, in both the WM&C and Beer forums. Drop in sometime....we don't bite. Unless you like that sort of thing.

#35 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

Light skin for viewing the board during the day, darker skin for at night when you're chill. A dark skin doesn't throw as much light, which I prefer most of the time anyways. People wanted a plain white skin so it looked like any other work related site if someone walked behind their desk.

#36 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

As far as the image goes with using you guys instead of the Blues Brothers, get with me via PM of something maybe I can help out. I used to be a graphic artist/photo editor a few years ago. I'd be glad to help you guys!

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

As far as the image goes with using you guys instead of the Blues Brothers, get with me via PM of something maybe I can help out. I used to be a graphic artist/photo editor a few years ago. I'd be glad to help you guys!

Get in touch with DuncanDad. We've appointed him t-shirt czar. But we need to work out pricing issues first. If we can't offer it at a reasonable price point then there's no point in going any further.

#38 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Get in touch with DuncanDad. We've appointed him t-shirt czar. But we need to work out pricing issues first. If we can't offer it at a reasonable price point then there's no point in going any further.

I'll get in contact with him in the next day or two, my services for putting the image together of course are free if you decide to go ahead with it.

Edited by Brian72, 01 April 2009 - 08:05 PM.

#39 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

I'll get in contact with him in the next day or two, my services for putting the image together of course are free if you decide to go ahead with it.

That's very generous of you and we certainly do appreciate your support.I think DD is going to be starting a thread in the PH to gauge interest. Based on that, we can maybe get a better deal by committing to more shirts. He sounds like he's got some ideas on the image side of things too so you guys might want to join forces.

#40 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the long and informative post.I'm happy with a new home. I'm also stoked to start posting more on the brewing forum and am especially stoked to do the monthly technical discussion (still working on this months lead off post).Let's keep this type of communication up and we will do well.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users