Photo
- - - - -

Should I add a drier yeast to finish this stout?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I made a oatmeal coffee chocolate stout that had an OG of 1.091. After a week it is now at 1.053. I'm not sure if the reading is due to insolubles. I roused the yeast and plan on waiting another week in primary.Should I consider adding a yeast such as 1056 to try and get more sugars out? I think this beer should end around 1.023.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

at 1 week I would say for a 1.091 beer, you are doing OK, a gentle rouse should keep it on course

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

What was the original yeast?

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

looking at my promash sessions Ihad a IIPA start at 1.091 drop to 1.021 in 18 days

#5 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

The yeast is Safale S-04, made a starter, got moderate fermentation at 12 hours, MAJOR fermentation at 48 hours.I'm still wondering if the insoluble sugars (or whatever) could be giving a higher gravity?

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

The yeast is Safale S-04, made a starter, got moderate fermentation at 12 hours, MAJOR fermentation at 48 hours.I'm still wondering if the insoluble sugars (or whatever) could be giving a higher gravity?

At a week old, there's no way to even guess at that. Calm down, be patient, leave it alone for another 2 weeks.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

At a week old, there's no way to even guess at that. Calm down, be patient, leave it alone for another 2 weeks.

yuppersRDWHAH :D

#8 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'll do that, and then report back in 2 weeks.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

CDBPLIAFA2W FTW!!!!! The RDWHAHB for the new millenium!!!!

#10 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Someone please correct me: If the beer has a lot of insolubles, then the gravity will never get too low.For example, salt water has a specific gravity > 1.000. So if I had a salt water that started at OG=1.030, and then added fermentables to get it up to 1.060, then the most the yeast can do is bring it down to 1.030, assuming 100% attenuation (in theory). So if my beer has a lot of unfermentables, the yeast might have done all it could to have it end at 1.045 or whatever...there is no more sugar to ferment.Is this correct?

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Someone please correct me: If the beer has a lot of insolubles, then the gravity will never get too low.For example, salt water has a specific gravity > 1.000. So if I had a salt water that started at OG=1.030, and then added fermentables to get it up to 1.060, then the most the yeast can do is bring it down to 1.030, assuming 100% attenuation (in theory). So if my beer has a lot of unfermentables, the yeast might have done all it could to have it end at 1.045 or whatever...there is no more sugar to ferment.Is this correct?

yes, but it's got room to drop yet, there's not .045 of nonfermentable solids in there unless you used Lagglander extract and lactose

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

That's correct but at this point you have no reason to suspect that. If the wort does contain a lot of unfermentable dextrins, then adding more yeast won't help.

#13 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Someone please correct me: If the beer has a lot of insolubles, then the gravity will never get too low.

Actually, as the insolubles drop out of suspension, the gravity reading will drop.I think you might mean "unfermentables", and not "insolubles". Talking about insolubles and gravity readings can lead to long discussions about poodles and swimming pools.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Talking about insolubles and gravity readings can lead to long discussions about poodles and swimming pools.

:rolf: :deadhorse:

#15 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

At the 2 week mark, the gravity is at 1.053 which leads me to believe the yeast is done. I roused it gently twice since the original post, and this did nothing as far as extra fermentation goes. I'm getting an ABV of 5.1% which is far lower than I was aiming for. With 1.091 I was hoping for it to end around 1.025 which would give 8.8%.Used this calculator.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

at this point I would consider adding 2 dry packs of S-04 and a 1/2 teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient

#17 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

at this point I would consider adding 2 dry packs of S-04 and a 1/2 teaspoon of Yeast Nutrient

Should I transfer first to get it off the old yeast, and then do what you suggest?

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Should I transfer first to get it off the old yeast, and then do what you suggest?

I am not sure, personally I would not transfer, as i don't like over handling beer.

#19 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Just add it.

#20 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Took some advice from homebrew shop: boiled 1c water, added dissolved nutrient, cooled, added 2 packages of dry S-04 yeast, roused yeast in fermenter, added to fermenter.About 24 hrs later, no activity. Will take a gravity reading next weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users