#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

2 lb Light Agave Syrup1 lb Amber Agave Syrup1 lb Brown Rice Syrup1 lb Home Malted/Roasted Buckwheat1 lb Home Malted Red Rice13 oz Cereal Mashed Black/Mahogany Rice13 oz Cereal Mashed Aromatic Basmati RiceMashed all the grain at about 154 df for an hour and a half.30 g Hallertau @ 6030 g Saaz @ 2045 g Hallertau @ 5Saf-Lager yeast - apparently gluten free. I think almost any GF yeast would make something delicious - maybe Wyeast's GF 1272 American Ale II - but more importantly something appreciated by a small pop of people who are forced very often to learn to love beer and then face the reality of never being able to drink it without feeling like absolute shit.OG: 1.050FG: 1.010SRM (total estimate here): 5 very hazy, probably due to incomplete conversion of starches - foggy like a witIBU: ~30Just bottled this one up, ended up being tough to keep the temp really low with my system/schedule so it fermented at about 59 df for just under three weeks for it to drop to 1.014 - raised the twmp to 63 for 7 days and then crash cooled to 45 df and bottled.Tastes wicked, very full bodied but dry. A little tart but with a malty flavour not at all unlike a beer made with barley. The hops are present but as the beer was flat and green I will withhold judgement until it is cold and carbed. Updates/pics to follow. If you can get the ingredients this one looks like it'll be a real winner compared to the commercial GF brews I have sampled.:huh:

#2 Noontime

Noontime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach FL

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Fantastic! I'll try this one next. I just bottled my last GF beer a couple weeks ago and it's not bad...not that great, but not bad. Very unbalanced. Knowing there's a successful GF recipe is very encouraging; thank you so much.One of the detriments to starting this as a gluten free(GF) brewer is not being able to use other's recipes to learn, or applying the knowledge of brewing towards GF beer. So this helps tremendously.Thanks again.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

NP noontime, I have strong motivation to make good GF brew! I think you have the same kind.My next attempt will be a gluten free dry stout - roasted buckwheat and brown rice syrup with a little EKG bittering.This one tastes wicked, a nice saaz finish - clean and refreshing, with a slight fogginess. The hops are totally present and I'd be willing to bet that anyone trying it wouldn't know that it was completely devoid of barley. I consider it a success, I'm going to try to narrow it down a bit and make something consistent.I agree, we are in pretty unknown territory homebrew speaking which is a pretty fun place to be!:covreyes:EDIT: p.s. most importantly my lady loves it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users